addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

The Sci-fi and Fantasy Book Club Message Board › The Forever War

The Forever War

Anna
Anna_Y
Springfield, VA
Post #: 2
Has anyone started reading this yet? I just finished and really liked it. Can't wait til January to talk about this one!
Tim
user 4792648
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 5
Noooo! You need to time it so that you finish right before the meetup, lol. I plan on starting in a week or two.

There is a sequel, Forever Free, written 25 years later. I don't know if it is good, but it continues the story of the main characters.
A former member
Post #: 2
I read this book a few years ago. It was a very quick and easy read. I enjoyed it.
Anna
Anna_Y
Springfield, VA
Post #: 4
@Tim - My dad gave me a quick synopsis of the next book, but I don't think I'm going to read it. I'll have to wait to tell you why at the meeting.

@Charles - It was a very easy read which is one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. I hope you can make to the meeting later this month!
Eddie
ed315
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 1
I've read it a few times, I'm definitely looking forward to the meetup.

If you don't want to read Forever Free, you should definitely check out Forever Peace, which is also an excellent novel
Anna
Anna_Y
Springfield, VA
Post #: 8
So, I usually get on "author kicks" and once I read a book I enjoy, I'll devour almost everything else they've written. The same has happened with Joe Haldeman. I've read The Accidental Time Machine (thanks Pete!) and I just now finished with The Coming. Has anyone else read either of these two books? Are all of his books this good? (Though that would explain why he teaches writing at MIT)

I hope more people are able to come to the Forever War meetup later this month. Even if you haven't read the book we'd love to have you there!
Tim
user 4792648
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 7

Just finished rereading Forever War - it holds up as well as I remember. I was also pleased to pick up on something I missed the several times I read it a decade ago: the full name of the doctor in the closing birth notice.

I also started Forever Free today, and 30 pages in it seems like something I would like - the situation intrigues me, and the writing reminds me of a polished, more literate Heinlein. I'll be interested in your takes on it Sunday.
Tim
user 4792648
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 10

Ok, I just finished Forever Free - couldn't put it down.

What I liked was the surprising changes of directions. Every time you think you know where the story is going, it changes radically. And each new path was intertesting in a 'big-picture SF' sort of way. Plus, the writing is good.

The only downside was the ending, which was unsatisfying and a bit of a cop-out. Hard to imagine an alternative to resolve everything, but he should have down better - it's like he asked a 10 year old child 'what do I do to end this?' and the kid came up with the first bunch of things that popped into his head. Still, the ending wasn't terrible, just rushed, and on balance I liked the book.
Anna
Anna_Y
Springfield, VA
Post #: 12
I have to ask before I read it, does it have a happy ending?
Tim
user 4792648
Alexandria, VA
Post #: 12

A nuanced yes. Reasonably happy in terms of the characters. Perhaps not so happy in terms of what the book say's about the universe; but I wouldn't see it that way or call the book a downer.