A former member
Post #: 4
Hey guys,

I know most of you are currently busy keeping up with all of the books for this club, however I just started a new club if you're looking to expand.

http://www.meetup.com...­

Check it out!

I look forward to meeting you guys soon.

Carl
Kent
MakeDifferences
Springfield, VA
Post #: 13
Hi, Carl -

My first thought was, "Wow, that's pretty cheeky and mercenary of him! He just now joins the group, and within 24 hours - and before even attending one meeting - is already flogging his own agenda by creating a splinter cell!" Then, my second thought was, "Well, I guess we're all big boys/girls, and can budget our own interests and time." It is, after all, a free society!

Now, since I'm new to this group, I'm only speaking for myself, mind you...BUT - it might really help your street creds a bit if you got to know us first, AND also if you flesh-out the details on your new site (from your link). As the Organizer, you don't even have any personal info posted. And, even though you have a book selected, you don't have a first meeting location selected. For me, it would be nearly impossible to commit to a meeting if I didn't know where we'd be meeting. You're from Fairfax, but that leaves a HUGE domain to range within. Remember, it's good to be the king...so you can chose the first spot - then see who flocks!

As a member of 3 book clubs, I value the diversity of having options. So, I'll keep an open mind to see what type of stuff your group reads - but for now, I'll only lurk. For me, most important is WHERE you folks will meet. The sooner you give prospective members (Nerds? Hmmmm - that's an interesting choice of titles for your members!) a sense of the stomping-grounds, I'm guessing you'll get more of a response.

Good luck, and I hope to meet you at one of our next meetings...and that you weren't just using our book club forum for your own personal stumping! (Yeah, I know - - all this from a guy with a duck for his icon!)
A former member
Post #: 7
Thanks for your reply Kent. No, I am not trying to sabotage your group, in fact I just ordered my copy of Leviathan yesterday, so I'll see you guys in a month. I've gone back and edited all of the areas you suggested, so hopefully more people will start joining now.
Mike
user 10624140
Springfield, VA
Post #: 6
I don't know dude, I am pretty attached to Anna's group and we have been together for a while now, what is your group going to read?
A former member
Post #: 8
Haha I'm definitely not trying to get people to leave this group. As I said before I'll be coming to your group's meetings as well. I just wanted to see if anyone was interested in joining an additional group. We'll be reading many different genres and I'm definitely open to suggestions.
A former member
Post #: 11
Sorry to post again but I changed my URL to http://www.meetup.com...­. I look forward to attending your meeting soon.
A former member
Post #: 5
uhhhohhh. Now its going to be a three way brawl in the coffee shop. Carl vs. The SciFi Nerds vs. The Knitting Club! Should be quite an event! Ill be the guy wearing a fedora and creepy mustache taking bets in the corner.

All sarcasm aside, cut the guy some slack. You don't need to be monogamous with only one book club- read around! It'll expand your horizons and the only danger is getting a paper cut.

Make sure you join us next month, Carl. It really is a fun group!
Mike
user 10567812
Washington, DC
Post #: 8
That's besides the point were cooler then the knitting club. We can take them.
Kent
MakeDifferences
Springfield, VA
Post #: 16
Oh, yeah, I totally agree, Brian, to cutting Carl some slack!

And, as I said in my original post - I'm currently a member of THREE book clubs. They are all unique and lots of fun. It certainly keeps me hopping (and buying TONS of bandages for all those pesky paper-cuts!), but I find it well worthwhile. I have one book club for light fiction, a second that alternates between non-fiction and (deep-issue) fiction, and this - the SciFi/Fantasy group. I like the diversity. And, what is best for me is, that I can pick/choose between them all. If one has something I'm not jazzed about, there are other alternatives.

And, has already been stated - it's really all about the people! That is what makes it so much fun. Also, I'm constantly impressed with the variety and depth of the book comments and observations among the group. It's great to get outside your own perspective - and share some time with other folks.

I REALLY applaud Carl for his initiative, and wish him the best of luck! His group is well within striking-distance for me, so as they read stuff that piques my interests, I'll probably attend that one, too. So, I guess I'll put-up or shut-up...and go sign up for his book club too! = : )

Hope to see y'all at "Hyperion" (which, by the way, I'm only on p. 308 of 482 - - So I've got some reading ahead of me still, between now and Sunday afternoon! But, that book is every bit as fascinating as Joseph alluded to in his comments on the initial meetup posting page for this book. I'm really loving this one! Oh, so that's yet ANOTHER great thing about having more book clubs - discovering stuff you'd NEVER bump into on your own!!! You go, Carl!

See ya Sunday!

- Kent
Kent
MakeDifferences
Springfield, VA
Post #: 17
By the way, Carl - - that second link doesn't work (for me?), but the first one still does. I'm curious about your new page (revised site?), and would like to check it out. You may want to investigate.

- Kent