addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

San Francisco LGBTQ Salsa Dancing Message Board › the history and the future of this group: Help me Help YOU!

the history and the future of this group: Help me Help YOU! :) It's time to speak up, and step up.

Alexandria
user 4767366
Group Organizer
Oakland, CA
Hi everyone! I know many of you are new here, or have never come to a meetup, so let me introduce myself - I'm Alexandria. I run this group. I am a dance teacher (among other things).

I started this group because I was going out salsa dancing in SF, to the salsa nights at clubs and bars, and there was ZERO queer presence. And I got tired of it. I wanted there to be more of my community in the salsa scene. And I asked my friends to come with me, and they said they didn't know how. So I tried to find them some queer salsa classes to go to, and there were basically none. I thought that was loco! So I looked on meetup, and I found this group and joined. I saw that they had no classes, no teacher. Very shortly after I joined the leader quit. I decided to give this crazy idea of mine a chance: I volunteered to be the leader, pay the fees, and keep the group open.

A few weeks later in Nov 2012 I convinced my very generous queer friends who own the Center for Sex and Culture (CSC) to give up 2-4 nights a month of potential rental income for this group to have class. I am unemployed since fall 2011, as I know are many people are too. I am not making enough money to pay my cell phone bills, but I am making sure I pay the $20/month to keep this group open because this idea means so much to me. I can not afford to pay the upfront rental fees most spaces charge. Which leads us to:

IF YOU CAN NOT AFFORD TO PAY FOR CLASS, PLEASE COME ANYWAY! If I had 20 people in every class, all broke and unemployed like me, I WOULD BE THRILLED!!! Frankly so would the CSC owners. They would feel we were doing a service to the community. It is a non-profit after all!

Can you imagine what's it's like to advertise class all over facebook, make a playlist, get dressed, bart/muni to SOMA in the evening, move furniture, set out drinks, fuss with the sound system, put on my dance shoes and no one shows up? Very sad. I WANT YOU TO LEARN TO DANCE. I WANT YOU TO HAVE FUN! I want you to make friends with other queer salsa dancers, latin enthusiasts, brazillian ex-pats, etc!

I thought these classes would be popular, and grow. That has not happened, and we are running out of time. With no one coming in the door and no one speaking online about anything, I don't' know what to do...

When classes started, I expected that some folks would come to class on a regular basis, make friends, become a group. And as a unified group we would begin invading the straight clubs, making a safe space for ourselves there, and showing the salsa club promoters that the queer salsa dance community is alive in SF again, like it used to be 10 years ago.

I need you all to tell me what you want. I need you to wake up, and speak up. Whether you are brand new, or a long-time member, NOW is the time for you to participate, online and/or at the meetups. I cannot sustain this without YOUR participation! At least RSVP NO and tell me why not!

Want Classes?

great! what time? what city? what style? what price? drop in? or a series? don't like my teaching? say so! know another queer salsa teacher you like better? great! let's bring them in!

Want Club nights?

great! tell me what you're looking for and if it's out there, I'll take us! or make a meetup on the night that works for YOU, and YOUR dream location!

Wanna open your house for a salsa house party? YEAH!!!

Want Something else? Got a great idea or a request for a meetup? Post it!!!

Got a complaint about me, or anything I've done/not done? Great!!! Speak up and we'll work it out!!!

Don't know what you want but got something to say? AWESOME! say it!

Help me out here people. I want to give you what you want. Clearly that's not happening right now. I need you to talk, and walk, so we can make this group ROCK! :)))))))))

I love my queer community. I love the dance community. I believe joy of dance is for everyone.

Let's DO this thing!!!

Love n' Hugs, Alexandria Nichandros

PS if you know ANYONE who might be interested in this group, please ask them to join! I know SF has way more than 200 queers who want to salsa!!!