align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

The San Francisco Scuba Diving Group Message Board Dive Travel › Florida Diving?

Florida Diving?

Serge
SurgeM
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
Hello everyone,
Just curious if anyone has several experiences in diving the waters around Florida. Any recommendations in regards to:
Area/Dive Sites
Dive operators

I've been thinking about a few Thursday ~ Sunday trips. All advice and responses are appreciated in advance!
Cheers,
Serge
A former member
Post #: 6
Hi,

I went diving in Key Largo one New Year's. We dove the USS Spiegel Grove. I used Silent World (http://www.silentworl...­. They are geared mostly toward Tech Divers. If you want a guided dive, I would chose another operator. I would not go back in Jan again. I would only go in July or August, as I prefer warm water diving. I would not purchase multiple dives in advance. The water was rough and they cancelled one day but did not offer a refund, only a credit, which I have not used in 3+ years. Hope this helps.

Ron
Barry James F.
user 10867261
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
For 15+ years, I have yearly dove in the Florida Keys in late summer, specifically Islamorada as well as Key Largo. My daughter joins me every year - she started when she was 12 - now she's 25.

Three major wreck dives: Spiegel Grove (dove it when it was on its side), Duane and The Eagle (dove it before a hurricane split it in two).

10's of reef dives available. My two favorites are Alligator Reef (not during lobster season) and Davis Reef (check out the buddha). Alligator is also a great night dive spot.

The two dive shops I use the most are: 1) Horizon Divers-Key Largo and 2) Key Dives-Islamorada

Hope this helps..."Barry James" Folsom, Master Diver, Padi
Serge
SurgeM
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
Thanks Ron and Barry, very helpful!