Greetings, members - NEW and "OLD"!
Come to our June, July and August workshops and beyond (TBA) to work on your songs, monologues and instrumental pieces to improve your skills for your own pleasure, auditions, performances, our informal Music on Sundays Musicales, and read through parts of our upcoming staged reading of the pop-rock musical play, "Monsters": The Beast Things in Life."
• UPCOMING FUNDRAISING & VOLUNTEER EVENTS - To be scheduled, including:
* STSANY SUMMER SHOWCASE in a public space (TBA): Songs, Monologues, Instrumental Solos: TBA. We are specifically looking for songs from musical theatre, jazz, pop, folk (in various languages), traditional rock, others;
* "MONSTERS: THE BEAST THINGS IN LIFE," a staged reading of the pop-rock play with music, in a public space. We need: Dracula, Dracula's wife, the Mummy, the Werewolf, the witch, and several other monster characters, plus chorus parts. Also: Instrumentalists including pianists or keyboard players, sax, flute, guitar and other instruments. This play is for children of all ages.
Send me your email address, and I'll send you a picture of all the characters! So much fun! Join in!
* VOLUNTEER - OUTREACH HOLIDAY CAROLING AND CONCERT in DECEMBER (TBA) at shelters, soup kitchens, senior residences and other venues. We're looking for new venues for these events, so please suggest some to us, especially if you have a connection with one or more. Thanks!
* ANNUAL CONCERT IN REMEMBRANCE OF SEPTEMBER 11 - in a public space - to be held on September 11 or sometime that week. We need singers, actors, instrumentalists, dancers, etc., storytellers, etc. VOLUNTEER! (STSANY MEMBERS AND FRIENDS). FREE and open to the public.
*CONCERT IN CELEBRATION OF HISPANIC HERITAGE MONTH in a public space, in September or October (TBA): Needed are singers, actors, instrumentalists, dancers who dance Salsa, Flamenco, Classical Spanish Ballet, Tango and other Latin dances. Songs in English, Spanish, Portuguese or indigenous languages: Classical, folk, popular, Latin Jazz, all styles.
• WORKSHOPS: $15 for members and participating guests: From 6:15-8:15 p.m. Non-participating guests: $10. Payable in cash, exact amount at the door. Please be sure to read your emails about possible cancellations and rescheduling. Please RSVP for each meetup separately.
• IMPORTANT!!!!: A minimum of 4 members is required to hold our workshop meetups. If fewer folks sign up, PRIVATE LESSONS will be offered on any given meetup night IN ADDITION to those offered every Saturday. Lessons on other week nights may be arranged by sending me an email.
• GROUP WARMUP: SINGING TOGETHER!
• VOCAL AND ACTING TECHNIQUE! Interpretation! Presentation! Repertoire for Upcoming Events! Stage Fright!
WHAT TO BRING...Please read this:
Singers: One or two songs of any style (simple ballads, please, that have a nice, lyrical line!, i.e., romantic songs, arias, message songs, folk songs, etc., nothing complicated). Please bring 2 copies of songs- the SHEET MUSIC! - one for you and me - with complete accompaniment (not only the melody line or chords alone). SINGERS: Please come prepared to recite your song lyrics as a monologue before singing.
Note: To receive the full benefit of workshop coaching, bring the written music as required. If you don't have written music, you can copy it at Lincoln Center Library for the Performing Arts at Broadway and 65th Street and other local libraries, buy and download it from the internet, or purchase it at music stores. Otherwise, make a list of songs you know and email it to me and/or bring it with you to the meetup, where the music MAY be available to you, if you're lucky!
Actors: One dramatic or comic monologue (max. 4 minutes)
Instrumentalists and Songwriters: One short piece (max. 4 minutes) for piano, guitar, etc.
WHAT YOU WILL RECEIVE...
INDIVIDUAL COACHING: 15- 20 minutes of individual vocal and dramatic coaching on your material, on a first come-first served basis. Music may be of any genre from the classics to rock. BREATHING, Vocal warm-ups and group singing begin every meetup.
REPERTOIRE ADVICE for songs of any genre and language AND dramatic/comic monologues is provided at all meetups.
• 45 MINUTE PRIVATE LESSONS: $65 in cash (special member discount): First come, first served.• EVERY SATURDAY from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. (approx.) unless otherwise indicated. Please send me an email with your preferred times ASAP. Be sure to give me your phone number so I can confirm your lesson time. Other day or evening lessons are available, as well, by appointment. All confirmations must be made by phone. Cancellations must be made at least 24 hours, by phone, prior to your lesson at no charge. Lessons cancelled late must be paid or re-scheduled.
*STSANY RSVP POLICY: Please read!
FYI: ALL meetups (unless otherwise notified), require 4 members to be held, including the organizer. You may invite a friend/guest to come along, either to observe or participate in the workshop. Be sure to include them in your RSVP. FYI: If you miss the deadline to RSVP, please send me an email to see if space is available.
RSVP WEBSITE DEADLINE FOR GROUP MEETUPS is usually at 10 P.M. the day before: PLEASE: RSVP "yes" ONLY if you are sure you can attend, or send me an email if it's past the deadline. This avoids canceling meetups at the last minute which is very inconvenient for your organizer and fellow members. They plan ahead for and are looking forward to attending workshops and other events on scheduled days. Everyone's time and aspirations are to be respected.
Meetup Fee: $15 for members; $10 for non-participating guests (exact amount in cash at the door). You may also pay your 2014 membership dues of $5 at the meetup.
NOTE: Please arrive 10 minutes before meetup begins so that we can start on time. Elevators are busy at that time. Thanks!Cheers, Anna Bartos, Organizer and Artistic Director of STSANY - A Non-Profit Cooperative Arts Collective for Singers, Actors and Instrumentalists of All Ages and Levels.
UPCOMING SCHEDULED Performance EVENTS in May: SEE POSTINGS FOR DETAILS.
NOTE: TO LEARN ABOUT STSANY's GOALS, PLEASE READ "PAGES" in the browser above. Be sure to check out our reviews and past meetups to know what we've been doing! Click on "MORE" and "files" to see flyers for our events, etc. To see our photo albums, click on "PHOTOS" in our browser.
To see and hear members perform, please VISIT our youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/AlmaMusica
How was the Meetup? Helpful and Encouraging Comments from members and your organizer:
Anna is an excellent vocal teacher and coach! If you seriously aspire to sing, whether it be for personal growth or professional goals, you owe it to yourself to attend a workshop! I have attended 2 Meetups to date, and will be coming back. It is a fantastic opportunity to meet interesting and remarkably talented people focused on taking their voices to the next level.
Anna Bartos (organizer)
What a lovely "review" and endorsement of what I try to accomplish at the workshops, Gene! It is obvious to me that you do, as you say, seriously aspire to sing, which is why you come back! It has been my pleasure to work with you on your good voice, and am sure you will earnestly keep working to accomplish your goals. Congratulations!
I feel the same as the other talented singers who came to the last Tuesday Meetup! Gene put it so well, when he expresses our desire to take our voices to the next level, and with Anna's help, we'll get there. It was a pleasure to hear Allyson sing! Like an angel, such range, such emotion! Thanks, Anna, for opening your lovely home to us, and giving such great musical advice. Looking forward to coming back, whevever possible...
What a great meetup of interesting people with budding & blooming talent! And the feedback is invaluable!!! Anna you're a true gem!