4 pm Friday 11/16 through 4 pm Sunday 11/18
We have changed the venue, we will NOT be going to French Creek but to the Civil Air Patrol Ranger Training Station instead.
For this exciting Survive and Thrive venture we will provide a format to learn new skills related to cold weather survival as well as give our members a free flowing space in which to PRACTICE THE SKILLS that have already been taught to you.
This is a great opportunity for newbies that know not much and hardened bushcrafters that have forgotten more than most others will ever know.
This is a FREE event.
Mike Danker, Jerry Hartman, Hugh Brenner, Brian of SEPA Survivalist, Charlie White and Fernando Salguero will all be on hand to help guide this weekend successfully.
Among other skills that will be shared we will certainly focus in on:
- Autumn/Winter wild food ID and foraging in the North American region
- Fire building and tending without matches or lighters
- Creating shelters that will keep you and loved ones warm through the night. You can make your own shelter and sleep in it if you wish.
- Basic orienteering and reading the night sky
- Modern and primitive tools and techniques to stack the odds in your favor
- Trap and snare setting for small game
- Stealth, subterfuge and camouflage
- Charlie White will be setting up a "trading blanket" on Friday and Saturday evenings. This is a great bit of practical fun. Bring any useful items that you can use to barter and trade for items that you are lacking. Food, tools, flashlights, hides and the like will all be on the blanket.
You must understand a few things if you plan to participate. -
* It will be COLD. Plan to layer up not only your clothes but also your bedding and tent. If you have a fair weather tent, bring a tarp to seal it up and keep the air and water out. Extra socks, tough boots, sturdy gloves and a warm hat. The more blankets you have with you the better off you will be. You may choose to sleep in your vehicle if that suits you, the parking lot is 35 yards from our campsite.
* We will provide a propane cooking station , a cleaning station, a power station ( phone charging etc). Toilets are on site.
* Be prepared to feed yourselves. A calorie is a heat fuel unit, stock up well.
* We will have a fire with hot water for tea/coffee/cocoa/instant soup going around the clock.
* Bring a folding chair or two for sitting around the fire ( a blanket will be an asset here too ).
* We are always family friendly. Feel free to bring kids and adults with you if they are of an age and mindset to grow from this experience. Please leave any that don't want to be at our event at home.
* Drug and alcohol use is not welcome at this event.
* This is a rain or shine event. Be prepared for rain and snow with a poncho or other rain gear.
* Bring any tools or gear that you want to try out. Think about fire steel,bow drill, magnesium fire sticks, knives, camp axes, compasses etc.
* In addition here is the official Survive and Thrive 5lb A to Z Bug Out Bag list of must have items.
DO NOT FEEL THAT YOU MUST HAVE ALL OF THESE WITH YOU IN ORDER TO PARTICIPATE, however many of these items will be put to good use over this weekend.
a. Leatherman Wave / Gerber Multitool
b. 8" zip ties - 30 ea
c. 3 mil. 55 gal Contractor bags - 2 to 3 ea
d. 3 mil. clear plastic sheet - 8ft x 10ft
e. 550 MILSPEC paracord - 50 ft (not just any rope)
f. Duct tape - 20 to 30 ft on a flat roll
g. Signal mirror
h. LED flashlight with an on/off switch
i. Unlubricated , unribbed condoms - 3 ea ( water carry and wound seal )
j. Compass - button compass ( with moving face) is preferred to the needle compass
k. Whistle - it is better have a whistle without a ball inside
l. Latex surgical tubing - 6 to 10 ft
m. Clear medium or tall trash bags - 2 to 4 ea
n. Butane Bic lighter 1 ea
o. Strike anywhere matches dipped in wax ( not too thick)
p. Firestarters - fuelsticks or cotton/petrojelly balls in foil - 8 or more ea
q. Magnesium block w/ spark stick
r. Gatoraid / electrolyte powder
s. Medium sized fishing hooks 10 ea
t. Small bottle of chlorine powder
u. Bandana, large - 1 ea
v. Alcohol based hand sanitizer ( multi use )
w. Travel sized baby wipes - 1 pack
x. Gauze pads & cotton balls - 2 ea
y. Powerbars - 3 to 6 ea
z. Triple antibiotic salve / Neosporin
Finally, if you :
A. Do not have a tent, sleeping bag or camping gear
B. Have tent space to share
C. Wish to carpool to and from the event
D Wish to travel by car caravan to and from the event
E. Have any other questions
then please contact Fernando ASAP at[masked] / [masked]