Brick
user 4307479
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
I am trying to determine what is the best Solar Charger for AA, AAA, CR123 and electronics. I am seeing that
the "Brunton SOLARIS i6" is high up there but id does not charge certain PDAs or cell phones. I also see it should have a USB port due to its ability. Any knowledge shared on this topic would be most appreciated.

Brick-
A former member
Post #: 1,950
Brick-

I'm sorry that nobody has replied because I'm anxious to learn from who ever answers your question. I don't know much about electronics and am very interested in learning about solar. I bought a Chicago Electric, 45 watt solar power kit for $125 and got another $25 off with an online coupon from Harbor Freight two months ago. I was inspired to buy the kit one weekend while I was taking a ham radio course at the Red Cross in West Palm Beach Florida. I chickened out of taking the FCC exam after taking the class because I was not prepared. The FCC test was more about knowing electronics than it was about being a radio operator. The test really isn't a big deal, but it was above me.

The Chicago Electric unit I bought is set up for 3, 6, 9, and 12 volt DC adapter outlets. The kit requires a 12 volt storage battery and 150 watt power inverter which were not included. The box states that the maximum current, is 2550 mA, 15 watts max per pannel (2 pannels included). The pannel dimensions are 12.40 x 36.42x .75 .

A former member
Post #: 11
Brick: do you want to use the solar panel for charging at home or on the backpacking path?
Brick
user 4307479
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 3
I am looking for a solar charger for emergencies so I would say backpacking solar charger would be more in order.
A former member
Post #: 13
I.m not knowledgeable on that type of solar panel and set up. If it was something for your house, than I might be able to give you some suggestions
Vince
user 12517976
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 1
Brick-

I'm sorry that nobody has replied because I'm anxious to learn from who ever answers your question. I don't know much about electronics and am very interested in learning about solar. I bought a Chicago Electric, 45 watt solar power kit for $125 and got another $25 off with an online coupon from Harbor Freight two months ago. I was inspired to buy the kit one weekend while I was taking a ham radio course at the Red Cross in West Palm Beach Florida. I chickened out of taking the FCC exam after taking the class because I was not prepared. The FCC test was more about knowing electronics than it was about being a radio operator. The test really isn't a big deal, but it was above me.

Hi Neal,

I took my first HAM exam back in 1995 when I was in the military....dont let all the techno mumbo jumbo get you down. Having a license is the greatest thing since sliced bread....sure I can talk to people on the internet but its not the same as talking to someone in New Zealand on a radio....or using an amateur radio satellite as it passes overhead.

Vince
A former member
Post #: 1,955
Thanks for the words of encouragement Vince. I'm sorry for being rude if it appears that I hijacked this thread by talking about ham radios. I mentioned the ham group as being who turned me onto getting a solar charger. Ham technology really is amazing now. You can even text via radio. I do need to just focus and study for the FCC exam.

There are some very left wing groups in South Florida who are into solar technology. Even though I find them politically WAY off base, I stand to learn a lot from the self sustainment progress that many of them have made with solar technologies.
A former member
Post #: 8
Brick

Since you have a champagne budget, I would get the

Brunton 26 Watt Foldable Solar Array $295.43 + free ship.
http://www.amazon.com...­

If your on a beer budget I would look at

Emergency Hand Crank Flashlight with Mobile Phone Adapter $7.99 + $6 shipping
http://beprepared.com...­

or

Solar 4-in-1 Plus Battery Charger $29.95 + $6 shipping.
http://beprepared.com...­

You might need the following to charge other devices

Three-Way Car Cigarette Lighter Splitter w/ USB Port $1.62 + $4.94 shipping.
http://www.amazon.com...­

A former member
Post #: 4
A teacher, or the prison, more and more ares are considering the legal use of cell jammers, it has been a necessity of our daily life, I have got one for my family. so if you want to get one, you can go and visit it for more details. share with you!