SURVIVE AND THRIVE PHILADELPHIA Message Board Survive and Thrive Virtual Prepping Labs › Lesson 1 - What did we learn in LAB 6-JUN-2011

Lesson 1 - What did we learn in LAB 6-JUN-2011

A former member
Post #: 85
Next lab 13-JUN-2011 Monday 7pm

Here I will briefly cover in outline form what was covered in the current lesson.

1) Operational Security(OpSec)

a) What preparations have you made?
We learned a toned down answer is best, one that answers the question in a general way, but doesn't actually give any details.

b) Don't make preps obvious, mislabel tubs and boxes, Holiday decorations or old clothes. Anyone you let into your home, what do they see?

2) Begin a series of practice safety scenarios, you practice with family members. Start a file of 3x5 cards of scrap paper torn into quarters.

a) The first example I used was to pick a distress word or phrase, that lets the family member know something is terribly wrong, but won't alert the bad guy(s). For lab I used "big guy". Hey 'big guy' it's me cliff. Alerts my roommate but doesn't alert the bad guy who has a gun to my head.

3) Know 3 items that can be used as weapons in every room of your house.

4) Print or purchase maps of your area, know your area like a beat cop would. These maps will be used in the next lesson, to identify problem areas in your neighborhood.

Assignment : read Lesson 2 and do the assignment at the end of the lesson.

If you are interested, anyone can join the lab sessions at anytime, ALL are welcome. We are using the SURVIVE IN PLACE course by David Morris, the best 47.00usd you will ever spend. You will also need a webcam, and a headset with microphone. Email James oprativ at gmail dot com to order the course and to get your equipment setup for the tele-conference lab.

See you in cyberspace, or outer space...

cavecliff
Jim de G.
oprativ
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 17
Just a note to add something Cliff that you had pointed out to me previous to Monday night's session...

Regarding item 1a) What is our toned-down response to questions regarding our state of preparedness.

As practiced in the Lab, we reply to such questions with a toned-down response that does not reveal our true situation. What I want to add is that *after* we give our reply, we should add the question "How about you?" in order to see what intel we can gather.

For example: Q: Jim, do you store any food?
A: Well, I have the food I bought on my last shopping trip, that's about all... HOW ABOUT YOU?

That way, we can pick up intel on our inquisitor.

Alexandra
user 14289221
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 13
Cliff & Jim,

Thanks for putting this info up on the board, it's great to take a peak when I have a moment or two.