SURVIVE AND THRIVE PHILADELPHIA Message Board SURVIVE AND THRIVE -- Discussion Forum › Update : 1) Emergency response to Staten Island, 2) Cold Weather Wilderness

Update : 1) Emergency response to Staten Island, 2) Cold Weather Wilderness Meetup

FERNANDO ANTONIO S...
WATERWOLF
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Howdy folks,

Quick update:

1) The first time ever in our 4 year history a call went out for this group to help others that were completely unprepared for the devastation that hit them. Now, 2 weeks after Sandy's landfall there are still thousands of people ( many elderly ) without heat, electricity, running water, flushing toilets and in many cases homes to return to in New York and New Jersey. This should serve us all as an example of how not to rely on Red Cross, FEMA or the National Guard as those organizations ( as hard as they are trying ) are not effectively getting the people's basic needs met.

S&T members began to respond in droves ! Food, water, blankets, money, cleaning supplies, warm clothes, candles, flashlights and batteries began to pour out of our hearts. Some volunteered their labor and trucks. At 9 am Saturday morning our group was part of a convoy of 6 trucks and SUVs that left from Independence Hall and hauled over a ton of these much needed supplies to Staten Island. The supplies went directly to the Staten Island Veterans of Foreign Wars who had a well organized distribution system working. The donations were well received by the grateful Vets and the community.

Several S&T members stayed up there and helped in the clean out and board up efforts to protect the homes from looters. After 12 hours of hard effort they returned safely to their homes and families, thankful that they could take a hot shower and sleep in a warm bed with a full belly. We hardly made a dent in the problem but it was truly a solid effort from the City of Brotherly Love.

I will not single out any member(s) for acknowledgment here. Those that stepped up did it for all of the right reasons and ego was not one of them.

That said, please know this : If I looked you in the eye at any point during this endeavor, if you responded to this call - you have forever earned a humble respect from me. If you ever find yourself in a bad situation you may invoke me and I will bring my full force to bear alongside of you. Thank you.

Fernando

2) Cold Weather Wilderness Weekend

Bring water unless you wish to purify the stream water from our camp area ( which is easy to do and we will teach you how to do it).

If you have any old axes, hatchets or axe heads bring them as Mike Danker will be prepared to help you sharpen and rehab them.

If you need any camp gear we have plenty to share thanks to donations over the years. Contact Fernando 215 868 4743 Keep this number in your phone.

Expect to have no cell phone signal, your smart phone's GPS may or may not fail as well. Inform your loved ones were you will be and PRINT DIRECTIONS since you may not be able to reach anyone if you get lost. https://maps.google.com/maps?q=218+Pine+Swamp+Road,,+Kempton,+PA­

In order to avoid getting lost consider joining the carpooling convoy that will be leaving the city in the afternoon. No hard time or take off point has been set yet so if you want in contact Fernando and get in on it.

Take care and see you soon,

The Survive and Thrive team
Suzette H.
SuzyQPA2
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 8
Wonderful update! Thanks.smile

A former member
Post #: 9
Hi Fernando,
It's been a while since I last saw you, but I think of the group often. I just wanted to tell you that my fiancee and I went to Far Rockaway, Queens yesterday to drop off some supplies desperately needed. That area is a war zone. We found 4 places to drop off the supplies and the people were grateful for recieving them. There were police on every corner and they thanked us for thinking about them. I saw a lot of things working as a medic in NYC, but to see people walking around like zombies waiting on food lines and being appreciative of eveverything. There were people from PA cooking on the streets for the people. People do have a friend in PA. I have to say that this area is the forgotten area. There was still no power anywhere there. I met someone there yesterday and he said they will start cleaning and rebuilding as soon as the power comes back on. I will be there to help them. God bless all of you. Talk to you soon,
Lou
A former member
Post #: 5
I have an experience to share with you guys. Once I was in a remote place, my signal in my phone got jammed, i thought the problem would be with my service provider. After coming back home i gave black and blues to my customer care highlighting my issue. They pleaded me saying that the problem is not with them. Then i browsed through the search engine regarding my issue, i got a remedy for my cell phone, there i came to know the problem called signal jamming that is experienced in most cell phones. They have a product called phone jammer could be very useful to get rid of these problems. Check out the details here cell phone jammer and hope this information would be beneficial. Hope that u would pass this information to all your friends, so that they too would benefited, Stay safe, Cheers