SURVIVE AND THRIVE PHILADELPHIA Message Board Cinema Survivor › Movies and TV Shows Recommended at the Brainstorming Session on 12/14/2008

Movies and TV Shows Recommended at the Brainstorming Session on 12/14/2008

A former member
Post #: 1

• I am Legend
  • The Happening
  • A Boy and His Dog
  • The Day After
  • Children of Men
  • TV Show - 24
  • TV Show - Jericho

FERNANDO ANTONIO S...
WATERWOLF
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 6
Kamp Katrina - 2007 Documentary showing survivors of the hurricane living with the aftermath . Not just a gloomy expose', but a study in survival techniques.
Louis
Tarnsman
Feasterville Trevose, PA
Post #: 7
To add my 2 cents:
TV show: Survivorman : Did an episode on natural disaster/flooding but all are helpful.

Books:
On the Beach by Nevil Shute
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
One Second After by William R. Forstchen, and some interesting reading at his website under, What is EMP?
Mean G.
user 10285464
Hatfield, PA
Is anyone watching The Colony on Tuesday nights on the Discovery channel ? A friend of mine and I both like it. It offers an interesting glimpse of what might happen when people are thrown together after some major disaster/societal collapse.
Freddie
user 10188856
Sewell, NJ
Right at Your Door - (2006)

Synopsis- A dirty bomb goes off in L.A. jamming traffic and spreading a toxic cloud.

Why it's relevant- this film depicts a very believable situation and focuses on the survival (particularly ethics) of the main characters. We see the eventual clash between survivors and those keeping order in days following the incident. Acting is top notch in this film and ends with a very surprising finish.

Overall- worth checking out. Don't expect too much usable information- (the survivors can't really do much about their situation). However- it's a good film for contemplation.

A former member
Post #: 5
This session ought to happen again. Also, during meetings (assuming we can tolerate a little more organization) maybe a reoccurring set order of things, such as past minutes-this to update questions arising from the last. Points of interest (known and unknown) could be quickly touched upon, and in particular to this discussion, should anyone be able to come forward with something new to watch.

My addition would be two shows that have been replayed-biweekly, for the past couple of months on the History Channel. After Armageddon and Day After Destruction. The former is a bit more relevant, while the latter is a good view of governmental response to major catastrophy as depicted in the wake of a "suitcase nuke" set off in D.C.

Furthermore, and seemingly unrelated, the movie Daybreakers is a great look at how authoritative control will evolve, including its disentegration following a continued loss of societal glue. You'll have to tolerate vampires here, though. Science fiction, but should the genre be changed to any storyline where a natural disaster occurs and there is enough "force" left to govern in a vacuum, the management will require enforcement, ... as now, but with less finesse.
A former member
Post #: 1,900
I haven't watched Daybreakers yet, but I'll look into seeing it tonight after watching the preview below.

I saw Jericho mentioned at the beginning of this thread. I really enjoyed that series. It is too bad that they gave it such a low exposure time slot in their second season.

Lennie James, was in that show and was in the first episode of the Walking Dead series that started recently. Below is a link to some pictures of the guy.
http://www.tv.com/len...­

I was really excited about the Walking Dead series that started recently. The first episode was great. However, the second episode was disappointing. We'll see how the rest of the series goes.
Rich B.
RichB
Tampa, FL
Post #: 11
This session ought to happen again. Also, during meetings (assuming we can tolerate a little more organization) maybe a reoccurring set order of things, such as past minutes-this to update questions arising from the last. Points of interest (known and unknown) could be quickly touched upon, and in particular to this discussion, should anyone be able to come forward with something new to watch.

My addition would be two shows that have been replayed-biweekly, for the past couple of months on the History Channel. After Armageddon and Day After Destruction. The former is a bit more relevant, while the latter is a good view of governmental response to major catastrophy as depicted in the wake of a "suitcase nuke" set off in D.C.

Furthermore, and seemingly unrelated, the movie Daybreakers is a great look at how authoritative control will evolve, including its disentegration following a continued loss of societal glue. You'll have to tolerate vampires here, though. Science fiction, but should the genre be changed to any storyline where a natural disaster occurs and there is enough "force" left to govern in a vacuum, the management will require enforcement, ... as now, but with less finesse.
I second the recommendation of "After Armageddon". I believe this is the closest depiction of the dangers we face that has been made to date.