A former member
Post #: 30
Solar panels. What affect will EMP or solar flair have on them? protection? trash? repair?

Weapon EMP - I think your toast. E1 will blow out the cells at their junctions. Cable to controller will act as antenna and take out controller and possibly the batteries and inverter.

Solar EMP - Maybe. Depends on warning time and intensity. The warning time can vary from several hours to a couple of days. There have only been three large storms in recent history that were studied(1859, 1921, 1989). I don't think any of these would be classified as "superstorms". Given enough warning, you could disconnect and protect your panels. Anything less than a superstorm would probably not require any action since you are not hooked into the grid.
A former member
Post #: 40
Solar flair degrades panels. test at u of penn gamma radiation makes them works better! Emp would degrade or fry still checking. emp may just fry diode - replace diode Controls and inverter most likely fried. I have about 200 hours into this--- guess I'll finish
A former member
Post #: 33
Gramps,

Did they have any info on CMEs (different from flare)?

Have you run across something called "magnetar outbursts" ?
A former member
Post #: 41
Just wondering if any one did any thing to prepare for emp.
FERNANDO ANTONIO S...
WATERWOLF
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 107
Just wondering if any one did any thing to prepare for emp.
Short wave and two way radios in a faraday cage.
Lottsa hand tools. And of course all other preps as the Grid will be down.
A former member
Post #: 43
Thanks Fernando! I bet a friend you would be the only one to do something to prepare for emp and reply, with no one else replying within 24 hrs. I bet him a steak dinner and won. I suggest to put volt meter away. If you have one just keep it in baggie inside tin candy box. Preppers need to be doers not talkers and readers only.
FERNANDO ANTONIO S...
WATERWOLF
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 110
I would bet that you are well loved up in your West Virginia mountain.
Volt meter is a solid idea.
A former member
Post #: 44
Hillbillies are unprepared. Most do not even have extra box of shells. They lost old time skills. They think they will live off deer meat they hunt. Talk to them about world situation they agree, but do nothing as 99.9% of people. I have enough potassium iodide for the whole town as you can buy by the pound cheap. I don.t mind posting for people to learn but do not like wasting time. I worked for a few years for N S spaceA brother agency. I saw their ground system but at that time did not know about emp. I did not even get to cars, small engines or equipment in your house. If no one is doing anything why post? I have a least 200 hr in research on emp. I started 10 yr ago and did research for a radio show, free if course. preppinggramps at hot mail dot cooooom
FERNANDO ANTONIO S...
WATERWOLF
Group Organizer
Philadelphia, PA
Post #: 112
My approach is to freely give information and encourage those that seek more.
Although sometimes I sit on my mound of info and shake my finger at the masses for being asses.
Perhaps you can upload files to the file section.
Try not to fault them for what they do not know.
A former member
Post #: 6
Everyday EMI/RFI right on up to a 'device' / nuclear blast / lightening / wicked solar event

Here are my experiences on the more common place examples, having wrapped one's head around these, one can extrapolate out to worst case events.

In the late 80's early 90's I was traveling the USA teaching folks in the trucking industry how to use a PC based dispatch system I had written for a major US carrier. Now picture a metal trailer literally under a radio station transmitting tower. When you pickup the phone and press a key, the dial tone goes away and you can listen to the radio station! This is RFI Radio Frequency Interference, they had all kinds of trouble with faxes and you can forgetaboutit when it comes to a modem hooking up. From another job I just so happen to have with me a ferrite core. One loop of the phone line through and around this 'wire donut looking thing' and VIOLA no RFI. Again I was elevated to the level of GOD in the eyes of these folks, offerings of food wine and virginians, people from VA.

Also in the fog of the mid 80's I was doing the computer thingy and there was a paving crew outside the office of a bulk carrier just north of Philly, using of all things, an ELECTRIC JACKHAMMER! The computers went WACKY. This is EMI Electro Magnetic Interference. Real quick an electric jackhammer works by two strong electric magnets firing alternately to move the shaft up and down. A perfect local EMI storm. Solution, turn the puters OFF and take the rest of the day off, or until the paving crew was done with the jackhammer. Note to self, if you EVER rent a heavy duty electric power tool, turn your electronics OFF and unplug them. This will minimize but not absolutely ensure you are immune from harm.

Did I mention I was an EW in the NAVY. Electronic Warfare tech? Radar units so powerful that when they were painting, pointing at, the shoreline, EVERYTHING electric in the houses turned on, and any humans present, were not going to have any kids anytime soon. So could a properly equipped plane, pop all the breakers in a specific area, maybe? With mega-watts of RFI power, EMI results are possible. This is all non-classified, and about as far as I will go in an open forum.

Now multiply the power of the above EMI/RFI examples by the evil intellectual ability of weapons designers to devise better and high tech ways of killing people, TIMES the fear factor of military, TIMES billion dollar military budgets, equals, well, YOU do the MATH. There is stuff I wish they could un-invent.

Then there in Mother Nature, and as the saying goes, 'you don't F... with Mother Nature' Lightening... think of EVERY wire in your house, all the houses in the strike zone and the wires connecting Ya'll as one big antenna, the local GRID... Lightening strike, three time the heat of the SUN, that's some JUICE. Can you say 'EMI/RFI WEENY ROAST'?

Who can tell the class where thunder comes from? Clue it's not GOD bowling...

Until next time, kids...

CaveCliff