Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Just saw this for the first time in a Russian bookseller's listings

Just saw this for the first time in a Russian bookseller's listings

Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 59
Dawkins is now available in Russian in Russia! Of course, since the fall of the Iron Curtain and the seemingly longest-running end of the Cold War, religion has risen along with a death-rate now threatening the entire future of Russian ecnomics and demographics. They wil drop in population by 2015 from 145 million to about 128 million. This is a bad thing for them. There are still many atheists in Russia; however, practically all of my students are believers and follow the former "State Church" of the Russian Empire before the Russian Revolution in 1917: The Russian Eastern Orthodox Church! It would be interesting to see how well Dawkins will sell there.

It is a compendium of Dawkin's writings and appears to be a decent collection. I looked further and found only a few of his best-sellers have been translated as well: The God Delusion, Greatest Show on Earth, and The Selfixh Gene. Fascinating that they also sell for from $13-20 US, which is rather expensive there. Also, if you want to get them here in the US from a dealer here, each will cost you about double the Russian price as they have to be imported to the US with the shipping and other fees plus the store's markup! Makes it hard when a Russian has to choose between Karamzin's history of the government of the Russian Empire and books on atheism . . .
Evan B.
Evan916
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 6
That's really, really interesting. Aside from being a linguistics major (minor in French), I love history and art, and Russia's is really interesting. Their Byzantine icons are beautiful.

But you're right; I don't know any Russians/Ukrainians here in Sacramento (which as I'm sure we all know is a HUGE community of such immigrants) who aren't pretty fervently religious. I always wondered if that was a major factor in their coming here, or if that's just how it tends to be back home or what... at any rate I'm really curious to see how Dawkins sells over there. Thanks for the info!
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 60
Evan,

It is interesting that you would think that it would be atheists who left Russia en masse over the years. Over 70K have emmigrated to this area alone! However, Lokteff, of the former Lokteff Jewelers was behind a lot of the machinations to bring Russians/Ukrainians here. They flew in with a complete set of materials and aide to get housing, food and more from social services agencies as well as English classes and putting their children in Sacramento area schools. These are mostly Baptists. Very few are Catholic as the Orthodox were more tied to the Russian Orthodox Church and had no need to leave Russia/Ukraine. Bring up atheism and you will get a strong look as well as a good lashing of xtian fundamentalism! I work with many and know this all too well. I have some who are my friends and the food is one of my favorite things as well as the language (I speak fairly decent Russian and read much better). I had one person tell me that I write like a 15 yo girl in Russian. This, to me, is a compliment! They know their langauge failrly well by the time they reach the 7th form (there are 9 altogether with 9 being like the first year in junior college.

I would love to chat with anyone anytime about this as it is a wonderful thing to go to the Russian Orthodox church just a few blocks from my place as the incense burns and the Russian litergy and chorus go on. Watching the ritual is amazing as well as a sort of emothional thing for me (not spiritual, just the sense of the mythological quest).
Evan B.
Evan916
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 8
Anyse,

I think there was some confusion or something somewhere; I said I don't know any who AREN'T extremely religious. Every Russian/Ukrainian/etc I know is pretty fundamentalist, as you said. Sorry about the misunderstanding :/

I don't know if I'd actually go to a service (not because of belief but maybe as a part of that I get really uncomfortable in churches) but I too love the Byzantine/Orthodox Church. I think the way more Middle Eastern elements wended their way into the art and music is beautiful and a lot more pleasing to me than Western counterparts.
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 63
Oops! I misread "aren't fervently religious"! Are not is much more clearer when one reads at 2100 words per minute! My error! Oh the incense at an Orthodox service is hundreds of times greater than in a Catholic mass! I love being overwhelmed in the smell!