addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo
Evan B.
Evan916
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2
Didn't see a "n00b" thread so just thought I'd introduce myself. I'm at American River pursuing a degree in linguistics, am a proud atheist, and want very much to get involved and maybe effect some positive change in our society, and hey--maybe even the world. Wouldn't that be nice? Not because I think I "should" or to reap a reward in some afterlife; because I'm a human being living in the 21st century and I think it's just the right thing to do.

Hope to meet at least some of you soon!
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 68
That's awesome, Evan, welcome to the group! Are you a member of the SSA chapter at ARC as well?
Evan B.
Evan916
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 4
No David, I wasn't aware of it! I'm going to go see what that's about though, for sure; we have this problem at ARC with this certain reactionary Christian group... they always set up a tent in the quad with signs like "Evolution Is A Hoax" and crap like that. It really bothers me that my school is OK with that. It's not like they actually have an argument. I tried to talk to them about evolution and they just handed me a pamphlet asking me if I'm "a good person". They're hucksters.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 69
Sounds like the secular student group should set up a tent right next to theirs and educate people.