addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Can atheists claim discrimination as a hate crime in America?

Can atheists claim discrimination as a hate crime in America?

Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 98
Well, here is a great story about a high school student who tried to interrupt the prayer in his high school graduation ceremony! What do you think about this?

http://www.alternet.o...­

Sad news and a reminder of the depths that discrimination for one's faith (or lack thereof) is rampant in this nation!

Anyse
Aaron H.
user 14097974
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
Well, someone would have to have committed a crime against the student because he was an atheist. Since it would be hard to show that he was somehow the victim of a prayer (a stretch), I would say "no". However, if he were attacked or his stuff damaged because of his atheism, then "yes".
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 108
This isn't a hate crime, nor discrimination, but it is a clear violation of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment. This will be an interesting case to follow.
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 99
What I was trying to create was an image, an idea, that, in a sense, non-belief is as much a faith as belief! If one is discriminated against for race, ethnicity, gender, being a gender bender (transgendered), creed, or being homosexual, then why would not atheists be protected under the same law! If I get beat up by a bunch of snake-wielding holy rollers because I am an atheist, is it any different in terms of discrimination as being a Jew, a Black, Gay, Transgendered or whatever? I really don't see this as much of a stretch at all. While non-believers are gaining more recognition (and not all of is good, mind you) or, more specifically, are speaking out more and becomiing more visible, why would it not atheists afforded the same protections given any group that is abused or treated unfairly in our society under the same hate crime laws protecting other minorities?

This also brings up another issue: Is being an atheist being part of a creed (a set of beliefs or aims that guide someone's actions)?

Another day in the real world with real people . . .
Aaron H.
user 14097974
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2
Hate crimes are, in part, crimes motivated by differences in religion. So if a religious person attacked an atheist because of their lack of religion or their support of secular thought, then I think hate statutes could certainly come into play.
Atheism is not a creed. Lack of belief in deities can't motivate one to do anything other than maybe tell people that you do not believe in deities, just like being a non-stamp-collector does not motivate you do do anything other than not collect stamps. However, many atheists are secular humanists or libertarians or follow other philosophies that would actually have a body of thought that would guide their thoughts and actions.