Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Current events, News, and the Real World

Current events, News, and the Real World

David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 67
12-12-11Edit
I went to Occupy Sacramento Saturday. Saw Cindy Sheehan. I give her credit for her speaking out and activism. Much has happened in the Occupy movement in the past couple of months. Today in fact, the movement has been planning to protest with marches on LA, Oakland, Seattle, Portland. I have not plugged in yet to see if anything has happened yet, but by tonight there may be some big news.

There has been so much happening and I expect that the next few months will have gotten bigger and morphed into other areas other than Park Occupations. Keep an eye on these people. They are mostly very well informed and many want real change.

I have found that having discussions with people about this can be very difficult. It is like talking to conspiracy theorist. This comes from "informed enough to know that you have been lied to, and passionate enough to be pissed off about it." We know what that is like.

It would be easy to say that human beings are gullible and governments are corrupt, but these are ways that the right rationalize their actions. Is is possible these ideological beliefs have, have influenced you? I have found some of these at the roots of my thinking, but as a freethinker, I have reexamined my beliefs and refined my thinking. I'd rather face my misguided notions and see my errors. For a time, it is uncomfortable, but a few days later I see the light and it all fits together. Evidence supports reality based thinking. Realistic and more mature attitudes emerge. Compassion for others can also be part of your evolution. May we all be more conscious.

10-11-11 Edit
Occupy Wall Street and now Occupy Sacramento started October 7. I saw a few FANs there. What could be the correlation? I think things have progressed enough to see if there are a few more on the meetup that would like to understand what this new movement is about. Is there going to be some discussion among us? When? This seems to be where most of the critical thinkers are. Just my observation. To be fair, there are many there that do not have good critical thinking skills. The picture is still filling in.
8-9-11 Edit
Riots in London and further. The Prime Minister and all the government spokesmen say it is just criminal behavior. I remember Gadafi and Mubarac using the same lines. Questioning Authority is common trait of Free thinkers. And sometimes Authorities have a better reasoned take on things. But what is at the root of the unrest? Many revolutions start with a good idea, but in order to get mass movement, civil disobedience will evolve, or should I say degenerate into violence and civil unrest. Then it has a life of its own. The fires and broken windows get the coverage and there is little room to ask why a black man was shot by the police. If that had happened in the US, there would be many more dead demonstrators and looters. And likely many more dead and injured police. Are the looters taking advantage of the fact that the police do not carry fire arms? What fools. England has a very extencive video servalance system. Notice how most are covering their faces? The aftermath of these days will be interesting. Likely many more will be injured and much more damage. What do you think?

8-3-11 Edit
Stopping in to see if anyone has a comment about current events from an Atheist Perspective. At this point 105 views to this topic. Five or ten my own. Some have emailed me wanting a Meetup. I have considered this and David D. has encouraged picking a topic and setting a date and location. Maybe some even will happen that will perk a lot of interest and that might be the trigger for making it happen.

I notice that there is a characters limit here. I deleted comments below to freshen up my comments by making Edits every once in a while. --------David J.

7-28-11 edit
Dept Limit Deal. Can they get something done by August 2? What kinds of positions do Atheist generally have with regard to this? My guess is that we tend to be more reality based and see complexity in issues better than those that derive their positions from moral fundamentals. The right has been embracing a government is evil attitude and wants to cut taxes and reduce social services. That is a simplistic view of their ideology that is easy for the conservative and religious to rally behind. As a self confessed liberal, I am somewhat polarized to react to support the left when I study the constilation of forces that are on that side. As a free thinker, I slow myself down and wrestle with what I know and sort out what I do not. The left holds the positions that are motivated out of concern for the people that will be directly effected by cuts. Seniors, Education, safety net and alike. It is hard to make choices to reduce spending when you have to face the actual person that is going to be hurt more. We are facing some difficult times and people are scared. ON an interview with the Real News Network the commentator points to many factors in this issue, but it seems to boil down to the American Public being stupid and there leaders being untouchable because they rape themselves in the flag and have the bible held close the their hearts. I suppose God makes it clearer to see who the enemies are. Those smart people like scientist, lawyers and professional and educated just want to mess with God's will and invalidate the biblical origins of our morality and the divinely inspired constitution that our forefathers layed down for us.
The more I write about this, the more I see this as an issue that needs reasoning peoples input. In the void of reasoned public debate and discourse, the public is manipulated and conned over and over to do the bidding for the wealthy and amoral cooperate culture. Do I sound a little radical to you? Maybe that happens in a vacuum. -----------------David J
7-23-11 edit
The media tagged the bomber/killer as Juhadist at first, but it turns out it was a local variant of right wing nut job. I wonder what next weeks spin will be on this. As an Atheist it is interesting to understand the mindset of people willing to plan an action that justifies killing young social activist. In Norway, thinking and preparing to take responsibility for there nations future is accepted as the natural course of their lives. Is there a correlation between the far right here in the US and the Far right in Norway. For simple minded people it should be easy to draw the similarities. I wonder if our media have the guts to make the comparison. ---------------David

What else is up in the News. The Republicans dominating the political agenda with the Deficit Limit. They seem to be holding hostage any thoughtful compromises in order to push their simpleminded agenda. Beyond there public face is a very clever campaign. Do some questioning? Educate yourself. Listen for the lieing. Find out what is real and what is congruent with your values.
A former member
Post #: 9
I follow the news closely and read about international events, the economy, and politics. I love talking about that stuff, but I will be leaving the country to go to Afghanistan on the 10 and will be gone for at least a year. So I will not be around but feel free to email me.

David
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 68
Besides the other David, It looks like the discussion board is not a place to make connections or initiate ideas.

I would be interested in what happens in Afghanistan for David F. I would guess he is going to as part of the military.

David Jacobs

Julie R.
user 11648289
Weaverville, CA
Post #: 15
I would be interested in getting together to talk about world events. I don't spend as much time reading as I would like too however I do stay up on whats happening around the planet and find it difficult to find people to talk too. Especially what going on politically right now (some very scary stuff).

Julie Roemer
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 69
Thanks Julie,

David is probably in Afganistan now, so, having the discussion with him in person is problematic. Lets start with a phone call. Call me at 481-5050 or email me through the "Members listing" (send email).

David Jacobs
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 114
Besides the other David, It looks like the discussion board is not a place to make connections or initiate ideas.

Most people don't know that the Discussion area exists, and very few get email updates when something new is posted.

But, maybe it's something we should promote more at our events.
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 71
Thanks David Diskin,

I think you are correct. I believe you.

What is the evidence? A few responses. and maybe 40 views.

BUT, The important reply was yours.

This brings up a question for me. Do the Organizers want to make the site work for the group. Are we more than a "Meetup"? Is what we want too confined by the architecture of the site?

Oh now I am remembering what you said at the Coffee and Atheism meeting. This is just a social group.

I don't believe you.

Evidence? Who did that thing in Vacavile? I was not there, but I saw photo's and video. Oh is that the new definition of social group?

Why I am asking?

I got this idea for an action or promotion for FAN. I put it on the Discussion board. Your idea came to mind. Me taking action....... Put it to the organizers (non elected leaders). Let you carry this idea to Steve, Marcus, and Rachael (Queen with two Kings). Why isn't Rachael's name on the Organizers list?

too many Questions.

I will send you the Move/Meetup idea.

I originally got on here to put something else out to the membership. I don't know how to do it effectively. So I will create another discussion with the title and see if other have an interest in it also.

David Jacobs
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 120
Do the Organizers want to make the site work for the group. Are we more than a "Meetup"? Is what we want too confined by the architecture of the site?

I love idea idea of us using the Discussion Area, or having events, to talk about these kinds of issues. I think it's fully within the scope of what Sac FAN is.

How can we get more people interested in using the Discussion Area for this stuff?

And, what would an event look like to discuss these topics? Would it be like Book Club, but instead of a book there is a pre-determined topic (ex: education, gay rights, politics, etc) ?
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 74
I would be interested in getting together to talk about world events. I don't spend as much time reading as I would like too however I do stay up on whats happening around the planet and find it difficult to find people to talk too. Especially what going on politically right now (some very scary stuff).

Julie Roemer

Julie,

I find the news to be scary too. I found some relief from some of that by continuing to keep more informed and be carefully about what sources I listen to. Some news sources use the news to over dramatize or to use other fear based tactics to control the perceptions. Weeding through it can be very empowering.

I think having a small group of people talking about the news would be useful in getting clearer about what the news means. I find reading to be more scary. That medium has little chance of interacting with. In other words, No one to talk to. Difficult to absorb. emotionally challenging.

Lets start with a phone conversation. Call me at 916-481-5050

David
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 75
Do the Organizers want to make the site work for the group. Are we more than a "Meetup"? Is what we want too confined by the architecture of the site?

I love idea idea of us using the Discussion Area, or having events, to talk about these kinds of issues. I think it's fully within the scope of what Sac FAN is.

How can we get more people interested in using the Discussion Area for this stuff?

And, what would an event look like to discuss these topics? Would it be like Book Club, but instead of a book there is a pre-determined topic (ex: education, gay rights, politics, etc) ?

Good Question. I think that a discussion group that would use the board or actually meet would best to dive into the issue of the day on the media.

Some issues leave the TV or published media, but are still significant. I would use the group as a guide, but start with the most breaking news. trivial news has know interest and World news often needs a historical knowledge base. Many in FAN can fill this in. Maybe by posting the list for soliciting expertise from the FAN membership.

David J