Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › 5 Things atheists have wrong about religion

5 Things atheists have wrong about religion

Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 103
One of my contentions has been that religion, per se, is not evil, that it is individuals who possess the arrogance that perterbs me, that religion is myth/metaphor/symbols and that things that divide the atheists from the theists is not simply a belief or belief in god and is far more complex than the simplistic arguments, with all of the negative things done wrong in the name of religion throughout history.

To this end, I just finished reading this article from AlterNet, which is wise as well as instructive for each of us to read as well as to consider more as our platform than the works of Hitchens, Dawkins, Harris et al. I do not understand why one should gloat over the errors of people and their misunderstanding. A true teacher does not teach one student at the expense of another! I feel, too, that many atheists also have it "wrong," especially when reliant on the "new atheists" and their positions as well as descriptions of the evils of religion.

I know that I am not too far off from a "better" atheism that does not put us in an "us vs them" dichotomy. We're here on this planet together, no matter what, and we need to find more common than uncommon ground to help to make this world a better place, no matter how small that effort may appear to us.

http://www.alternet.o...­