addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Julian Assange and Slavoj Žižek

Julian Assange and Slavoj Žižek

David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 72
7-15-11 Edit-----------
At Coffee and Atheism, One person stated that they were thankful for the posting of this topic. That made it worth my while putting this out to the group. She declared that Julian was her boy. I fought over him. but we agreed to share him. Assange is my kind of hero. At great personal risk, he is committed to Transparency of institutions, corporations, and governments. I even like to listen to him.

Slavoj Žižek, on the other hand is a hoot. Difficult to listen to and even more painful to watch. Some comedian is going to start imitating this "Professor" and give us all belly laughs while we ingest the scary realities of the world we are living in.

These two make being a conscious human being more possible and more fun. And that is why we are here, isn't it? What do you think? ---------------------David J.

Tomorrow Morning 8am an online connection to a conversation between these two that has me very excited. I have heard some of you interested in WidiLeaks and other Internet impacts on the shift that is happening in our world. One is that Atheism is on the growth for those that get the power of being connected to all this information and the tools to check the accuracy and truthfulness of the information. This is a cultural manifestation of critical thinking skill that is killing religion. No longer is any information insulated from the questioning mind. Thank God. Join me in listening in on this conversation tomorrow morning. I'd love to do breakfast afterword. Anyone going to be up that early?

Amy Goodman to Host Conversation With WikiLeaks Editor-In-Chief Julian

Assange and Slovenian Philosopher Slavoj Žižek

Exclusive online broadcast from London on Saturday, July 2, 11am EDT. Click

here for details.---------->

Within the past year, whistleblower website WikiLeaks has released three of the

most significant leaks of classified information in history: the Iraq War Logs, the

Guantánamo Bay files and Cablegate. Since then the world has undoubtedly

changed. Ambassadors have resigned amid scandals exposed by leaked cables;

governments have ordered reviews of their computer security; and pro-democracy

movements have swept across the Middle East and North Africa—in part fueled,

some believe, by WikiLeaks revelations.

This Saturday, July 2, Amy Goodman will moderate a conversation with WikiLeaks

editor-in-chief Julian Assange and renowned Slovenian philosopher, Slavoj Žižek.

Sponsored by the Frontline Club, the event will be broadcast from The Troxy

theater in London. Democracy Now will broadcast a live stream of the discussion

starting at 11am EDT at www.DemocracyNow.org.

You can post your questions for the panelists ahead of time on the Democracy

Now! Facebook page and submit them to the Frontline Club by emailing

events@frontlineclub.com with the subject line "Question 2 July."

Focusing on the ethics and philosophy behind WikiLeaks’ work, the talk will

provide a rare opportunity to hear two of the world’s most prominent thinkers

discuss some of the most pressing issues of our time.

It will also mark the publication of the paperback edition of Žižek’s Living in the

End Times, in which he argues that new ways of using and sharing information, in

particular WikiLeaks, are one of a number of harbingers of the end of global

capitalism as we know it.

For more information, visit FrontlineClub.com.

If you would like to host the live stream on your website, please contact Jessica

Lee for more information (jessica at democracynow dot org).

Click here to see Democracy Now!’s extensive coverage of WikiLeaks, including

several interviews with Julian Assange.

Click here to see Slavoj Žižek Interviews on Democracy Now!

ABOUT DEMOCRACY NOW!:
Democracy Now! is an independent, global, daily news hour broadcast in English

and in Spanish on more than 900 public television and radio stations in 35

countries around the world.

ABOUT AMY GOODMAN:
Amy Goodman is an award-winning investigative journalist, syndicated columnist,

author and the host of Democracy Now! Goodman is the first journalist to receive

the Right Livelihood Award, widely known as the “Alternative Nobel Prize” for

"developing an innovative model of truly independent grassroots political journalism

that brings to millions of people the alternative voices that are often excluded by

the mainstream media." The Independent of London named Amy Goodman and

Democracy Now! "an inspiration"; pulsemedia.org placed Goodman at the top of

their 20 Top Global Media Figures. Goodman is the author of four New York Times

bestsellers. Her latest book, Breaking the Sound Barrier, proves the power of

independent journalism in the struggle for a better world.

David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 76
It is Monday. The day after Julian Assange's Birthday. He is 40.

I watched the broadcast a couple of times. Very nice. I am interested in how many of the FAN group watched part of this. If you are afraid of posting to this board, email me.

David
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 122
I am interested in how many of the FAN group watched part of this. If you are afraid of posting to this board, email me.

I didn't watch/listen to this, but I did hear a wonderful debate about free speech that specifically mentioned Wikileaks several times. It was on Friday, on NPR, and I think the debate forum was called "Intelligence Squared" or something like that. I'd heard it before with other debates.

I won't spoil the surprise by telling you who won over the audience.

Also, you have to watch this fantastic commercial:

http://www.youtube.co...­
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 77
I am interested in how many of the FAN group watched part of this. If you are afraid of posting to this board, email me.

I didn't watch/listen to this, but I did hear a wonderful debate about free speech that specifically mentioned Wikileaks several times. It was on Friday, on NPR, and I think the debate forum was called "Intelligence Squared" or something like that. I'd heard it before with other debates.

I won't spoil the surprise by telling you who won over the audience.

Also, you have to watch this fantastic commercial:

http://www.youtube.co...­

Nice. For those that want change. And when you get a spare couple of hours, watch the interview. While long and very heady, there are some gems in it Thanks for passing the Youtube, I had not seen it yet. I guess that are numbers are small, but I also imagine the numbers are growing. I would find it easy to make a correlation in the growth of Freethought and the rise of open media.

David J