Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › brainstorming some outdoor activities

brainstorming some outdoor activities

GaryA
GaryA
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 26
I am going to try to arrange some outings for the group so we can get off our butts every-so-often. Here are some ideas I have for "Atheist Adventurers".

There's a tour of underground Old-Sac that is starting at the end of April.

There's rafting down the American River once summer sets in.

There's some easy hiking and biking trails around Folsom Lake.

A picnic would be nice, I think. We could bring a soccer ball and a frisbee and stuff.

Any other suggestions, please post below:
Roberto L.
rleibman
Roseville, CA
Post #: 32
A bunch of us run, maybe we could have tech shirts printed and run as a team in the various races around town.

A camping trip?
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 138
I definitely think a rafting trip down the American River is in order. But, when it gets warmer and when it's NOT totally crowded (like July 4).
A former member
Post #: 1
How about a field trip to church.

Many of us were traumatized growing up with religion where it was force fed to us until we were old enough to break free of the oppressive dogma we had to endure. I personally feel scarred to this day. Wouldn't it be nice to attend a church service with FAN members to support you through the experience to find some form of closure and catharsis with people who can validate you for not believing in god in that setting. We wouldn't even necessarily have to confront the church members and reveal ourselves as atheists. At the very least we could laugh about the experience afterwards among ourselves. After all isn't that the best sort of medicine.

Just a thought.
GaryA
GaryA
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 27
David and Roberto: I think those are great ideas... I don't even know where people go camping these days, now that you bring it up...
Roberto: I think that if there was a group of runners to represent us at charity runs or fun runs, that's an awesome idea, but probably more than I could organize at the moment.

James: I would be interested in attending a church service with a group of FANs, but I have 2 comments. 1, I think it could come off as atheists going to a church service to laugh or mock the religious, which can make atheists look bad. 2, while it would be an adventure, I was looking for something more physically challenging and outdoors-y. Granted, if we get chased out of the church with pitchforks, it would immediately become both of those things. :)

Thanks for these suggestions :)
Anna
user 5601466
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 21
I would love to go to a camping trip. Hiking is also fun! There are a lot of places around Sacramento area that are good for camping...
GaryA
GaryA
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 28
Anna: Can you recommend a few sites to me? With information like what resources are available?
Anna
user 5601466
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 22
Gary: Last year we went camping in Grass Valley near some lake (don't remember the name). It was about 2hr drive from Roseville. Sites for tents and RV, dogs allowed. there were bathrooms, place for BBQ, picnic tables, regular stuff like that. I also went camping with my family to Manchester KOA. It is a good place to go with kids. There are both cabins and tent sites available. Pets are welcome (I don't go camping without pets!), showers, bathrooms, TV room, some arcade games for kids, and different activities. Close to the ocean ( walking distance, but not too close). Yosemite and Lake Tahoe have camping sites, haven't been there in a while. Also state parks are great places to camp. I just need to research that more. Let me know if you want any help and also what you are looking for.
Cory M.
mullcory
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
Rafting is a great idea. I've always wanted to but never had the opportunity. I'd also like a hiking trip, but roughly how far are you thinking of going to find a trail? Lake Tahoe comes to mind first but I'm sure places like Pollock Pines and Auburn have a few good trails as well and are a bit closer.
Julie R.
user 11648289
Weaverville, CA
Post #: 18
If Anna is referring to the camping trip last summer that Greater Sac Singles went on the place is Jackson Meadows reservoir off hwy 89 near Sierraville. It is a beautiful place to camp however I wouldn't recommend it for a group as there are no facilities except toilets. If you want to go camping I would suggest going to a private campground that has showers and places to get food. Take it from my experience that it is a lot of work to coordinate and figure out how to get everyone fed 3 meals a day plus snacks.