Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Interest in podcasting

Interest in podcasting

GaryA
GaryA
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 31
I thought I would start a conversation with everyone about starting some type of podcast or broadcast with our members. The Atheist Experience, a project of the Atheist Community of Austin has found success on YouTube and public broadcasting with members of the public calling in to discuss religious issues and simply ask questions. I don't suspect we would have the budget to do something like that, but maybe we could do some type of podcast? I have recording equipment and software, but I don't have website development skills.
Any feedback is welcome. Feel free to list your favorite podcasts so that our members who aren't familiar with the idea can have some examples.
-Gary
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 155
There's others in the area that have expressed an interest in this, too.

Andi Griffith, someone from Yuba (can't recall who at the moment), myself, Tom, and plenty others. We even considered (and have partially funded) a TV show. Really, someone just needs to step up.

It would be great to see it be a part of the Sacramento Area Coalition of Reason.

I don't have time to contribute, but would be happy to be on the podcast/show from time to time.
A former member
Post #: 6
Another alternative is Access Sacramento. Anyone can take the radio class, a four week, two hours a week, and have your own show. I currently have my own program, which is not live, but I prerecord in the studio. I pretty much play music but also do alot of commentary. I would be happy to show anyone who wants to see, the studio and set up. I would also be willing to do an interview or discuss any issue anyone wants. It is internet radio. They also have tv programming through comcast, channel 17,18. You can get studio training for that as well. It's a gem of a resource. Plus they have submitted an application for a low power fm station and waiting to see if they got one of those rare licenses.
There is an atheist program on KDVS, out of Davis. On thursdays, in the am, where they would probably be willing to do some discussions w/ area atheists.
If anyone is interested please let me know, either message me directly or through this board. I record my show on Thursday.
GaryA
GaryA
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 32
I think a podcast would be the easiest way to start. It would require the least amount of training. Perhaps there is someone with web-development experience who would be willing to set up an initial website and train me on how to upload to it.

Todd:
This sounds really interesting and I'd be interested in seeing how you record. What time of day do you record on Thursdays? Do you have contact information for the folks in Davis who run their atheist program?

David:
I hope those folks can get in touch with me. Maybe I should set up a meetup for this discussion? I would prefer the event be for SacFAN rather than SCOR. I don't have a reason for this, though, just feels more comfortable.
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 109
KVIE had room for programs for non-profits and community groups for FREE! They allow the use of their equipment and more (and even train people as well)! How about this? Do a video and also distribute it as an audio or a video or both in the form of a potcast post production.
A former member
Post #: 8
It's more a matter of time, effort, and maybe a little cash rather than a knowledge of web development to get something like this done. Besides Access Sacramento which I still think should be a consideration. As well as being free, aside from minimal annual dues, it's almost immediately available. There are other available , fairly simple venues like live 365, another outlet I use, which isn't free. Putting a show together is a big commitment and keeping it updated with new information is maybe even bigger.
I've not connected with any of KDVS staff regarding their atheist show, but like Access, in regard to programming they're diverse, eclectic, and have christian/religious programming as well.
Like I said, I would be willing to help establish some programming through Access Sacramento. I could probably get another hour or so for another program, even a live one, with call in and all, but someone or several someones would have to provide the format for the show and organize that, and hopefully, once it's up and running take over.
Other than that, I am interested in participating in anything else SacFan wants to do regarding podcasting or broadcasting.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 156
So how about we get together in person and hash this out?

Can we meet on Wednesday, Nov 7th, at 8:30 pm, at the Coffee Garden? (This is right after Coffee and Atheism.)
A former member
Post #: 10
I'm in, although it's a little late for me, can it be before C &A? Will you put it as a meetup to see if there is any other interest?
GaryA
GaryA
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 33
Earliest I could get there is 5:20 if the traffic is favorable. I'm willing to stay late or arrive early. Just let me know and I'll be there.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 157
Sure, how about 5:30 PM ? I'll make a meetup for it, if we're all good with that date/time.