Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Hi Everyone (but especially other FAN parents) - I just blogged about being

Hi Everyone (but especially other FAN parents) - I just blogged about being a atheist mom - moral support WELCOME

Gretchen E.
user 10292803
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
Hi,

I joined FAN about a month ago - only Meetup I've been to so far is the End of the World Party (which was a blast!) Would love to go to Blasphemy Breakfast on Sunday too, but we are a lazy sleeping-in-ing atheist family and haven't been able to hit 9:30 am yet.

Anyway, on to the self-promotion part of this email. I'm a local mommy blogger and inspired by the brave mom blogger on cnn.com today (http://ireport.cnn.co...­, I posted and came out of the closet as a atheist mom (hadn't mentioned it on my blog before, and while my immediate family knew, many of my friends did not).

This is the link to my blog post:

http://whatarabelladi...­

I'm just asking you to help a atheist sister out and maybe leave some positive feedback if I end up getting slammed by the religulous. Of course, maybe no one will read it including the religulous (not sure if that would be worse or not).

Not the best writing in the world, but had to post it before I lost my nerve.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 170
What a very brave thing to do. And in such an eloquent way!

I only see the one comment right now, which looks to be very supportive. That's good to hear.
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 114
I tried to post 2 times to your blog with no success. I am more than happy for you in your step into the real world beyond the "faithful." I have had many good as well as a number of horrendous experiences that were not prevailed upon be but upon my son! I hope that we can talk more about this. I live and teach in Viet Nam. So, I use free calling via the internet to talk as well as email to keep things going. If you would like to discuss or talk about things, please, write to me here or at my email address: anyse1@mac.com. Oh, the person who posted first called atheism one of many faiths. Oooops! Atheism is NOT a faith! This is where the argument comes from as, when Xtians identify atheism as a "faith," they then attack the atheist as some sort of "cult" follower. Beware of this and be sure to remind others who call atheism a "faith" that is it NOT a faith at all, it is the LACK of religious faith. Hugs in your struggle. "And may the light of . . . surround you . . . " Sorry, sick joke! LOL!
Chuck W.
DrChuckW
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
I have been an atheist for most of my life and like other beliefs I hold, I try to share them in places they won't hurt me. I learned a great lesson in college about controversial bumper stickers and the increase in attention and bias from those who disagree (i.e., police, co-workers, etc.). When folks bring christianity into the conversation, I often try to suggest that I am not a christian and often times that is enough to curb the discussion to non-religious matters. If they persist, an "I am just not superstitious" and don't subscribe to power-based superstitious beliefs systems seems to turn the conversation.

There was a time when atheism was more accepted but, given the current swing of the religiosity pendulum, I recommend stepping lightly or be prepared to lose friends and alienate associates (although I do hear on NPR that atheism is growing again). The FAN group looks to be a good place to have the social aspects of humanity where religion can be part of the discussion without threat.

I think your blog post was quite interesting and very forthcoming. I leave you with one of my favorite Howard Gardner (5 Minds for the future, 2008) quotes in response to your "I've been speaking up consistently lately when I disagree with someone's opinion..." and that is "As disciplined learners, it is our job to understand the world. But if we are to be ethical human beings, it is equally our job to use that understanding to improve the quality of life and living and to bear witness when that understanding (or misunderstanding) is being used in destructive ways."

Keep Blogging.
Gretchen E.
user 10292803
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 2
I tried to post 2 times to your blog with no success. I am more than happy for you in your step into the real world beyond the "faithful." I have had many good as well as a number of horrendous experiences that were not prevailed upon be but upon my son! I hope that we can talk more about this. I live and teach in Viet Nam. So, I use free calling via the internet to talk as well as email to keep things going. If you would like to discuss or talk about things, please, write to me here or at my email address: anyse1@mac.com. Oh, the person who posted first called atheism one of many faiths. Oooops! Atheism is NOT a faith! This is where the argument comes from as, when Xtians identify atheism as a "faith," they then attack the atheist as some sort of "cult" follower. Beware of this and be sure to remind others who call atheism a "faith" that is it NOT a faith at all, it is the LACK of religious faith. Hugs in your struggle. "And may the light of . . . surround you . . . " Sorry, sick joke! LOL!

Hi Anyse,

Sorry you weren't able to post a comment - I'm not sure what happened. I'm not completely aware of how all the Blogger whizbang doodads work - I know when I started my blog it was set to default that you had to create some account to comment and I took that off before, but who knows what happened now.

Sorry for what happened to your son - I'd love to talk more.
Gretchen E.
user 10292803
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
What a very brave thing to do. And in such an eloquent way!

I only see the one comment right now, which looks to be very supportive. That's good to hear.

Thanks David! The one comment was from a real-life friend who's a pretty cool person.

Everyone keeps calling me brave, and I appreciate the compliment, but at the same time I'm sad for us that this is something that takes bravery. I doubt the religious feel they have to summon up any courage to post the quotes, memes and articles that they do about The Lord.

I am glad I did it although I ticked off the one who gave birth to me, b/c I was surprised with five private messages on FB from family and friends that thanked me for what I said and said they actually felt the same way but were afraid to tell others.

No one should have to be afraid to state a fact about themselves because others see it as a reaction against them.
Gretchen E.
user 10292803
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 4
I have been an atheist for most of my life and like other beliefs I hold, I try to share them in places they won't hurt me. I learned a great lesson in college about controversial bumper stickers and the increase in attention and bias from those who disagree (i.e., police, co-workers, etc.). When folks bring christianity into the conversation, I often try to suggest that I am not a christian and often times that is enough to curb the discussion to non-religious matters. If they persist, an "I am just not superstitious" and don't subscribe to power-based superstitious beliefs systems seems to turn the conversation.

There was a time when atheism was more accepted but, given the current swing of the religiosity pendulum, I recommend stepping lightly or be prepared to lose friends and alienate associates (although I do hear on NPR that atheism is growing again). The FAN group looks to be a good place to have the social aspects of humanity where religion can be part of the discussion without threat.

I think your blog post was quite interesting and very forthcoming. I leave you with one of my favorite Howard Gardner (5 Minds for the future, 2008) quotes in response to your "I've been speaking up consistently lately when I disagree with someone's opinion..." and that is "As disciplined learners, it is our job to understand the world. But if we are to be ethical human beings, it is equally our job to use that understanding to improve the quality of life and living and to bear witness when that understanding (or misunderstanding) is being used in destructive ways."

Keep Blogging.

Thanks Chuck!

Yeah - I really don't like to be confrontational either - I don't have the stomach for it. But the presumptions of others when they bring it into the conversation themselves confident that others must think just like they do drives me up a wall, and begs for a polite and gentle reality check.

I love Howard Gardner as well! I'm a child development / developmental psych / neuroscience nerd (someday I want to get my masters in Child Development). So grateful that my daughter gets to go to Bev Bos's preschool here in Roseville with a similar philosophy.