Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Changing the format - Getting your opinion
Good morning. Thanks for your involvement last night.
I'm changing the format of the "How To Discuss Atheism" and would like your opinion and suggestions. Even if you might not join us again for whatever reason, I'd still like to run this past you to get your feedback so I can better help others.
Here's what I think I'll shoot for at the next meeting:
- Eliminate the role play attempts. I don't think it worked. It's vital, but I think everyone just has to research and find their own way, since every situation is so completely different.
- No small groups. No one could hear, and so much valuable sharing went without the rest of the group having a chance to listen in.
- Put all the speakers at the beginning, one-two-three followed by several quick toolbox hints - no stopping between speakers.
- After the speakers, put all chairs in one large circle and facilitate one person speaking at a time, sharing with each other our experiences, concerns and support. This will be facilitated to stay on topic and keep side conversations from popping up. This will be given ample time after the speakers - all the way to the end of the evening. So many people there last night had valuable information and experience, so I want a large block of time to let everyone share and support each other about how to discuss atheism. It's an awesome resource that went wasted last night.
- I'm considering moving the start time to 7:00. I like having two full hours, and with the new format we might need it, but so many people were late it might be better to start later. I should have asked everyone last night about starting at 6:30. Your thoughts? (I would rather not end after 8:30, so people can get home.)
Topics for May:
- Speaker presenting Origin and Authorship of the Bible (10 min?)
- Speaker presenting Morality Without God (10 min?)
- Speaker presenting More Logical Fallacies (10 min?)
- Three short Toolbox tips (6 min?)
- Form one large circle for directed discussion on the topic of How To Discuss Atheism With Family Specifically (one hour?)
I came home feeling it just didn't work last night. Role playing can be powerful, but it might not be the best use of everyone's time. It's hard to role play a lot of what is presented, anyway, like ad hominem attacks. You just have to hear about something and try to remember it on your own.
I'm asking for your opinions on this new format - no role playing, no breaking into small groups, instead just the speakers followed by open facilitated sharing.
Thanks for your help and interest,