Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Condescention and Atheism

Condescention and Atheism

Adam T.
user 101193372
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
I'm a conflicted individual. As a fiscal and defense conservative but a social liberal there's not really a political party that represents me. As such, I tend to follow multiple news sources and be disgusted for one reason or another by pretty much all of them. FOX News; however, is the most recent to truly disgust me. Today, as a response to the plane crash at SFO they ran a story regarding the value of prayer in crisis situations, somehow linking that to the success of people getting off the airplane. How foolish. People escaped that disaster through intelligent action, guidance from trained air crew members, most notably flight attendants and finally a small measure of old fashioned luck. What a ridiculous and biased misapplication of journalism. Bad on you FOX News time and time again for playing the religion card.
doug
user 46758972
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
A mainstream news team asked OK tornado survivors if they prayed to Jesus. One person proudly announced she was atheist. That took guts in the bible belt.
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 120
This so saddens me! Will we ever see such reports end? Never, as I grew up, I am 62 now, did I hear such pablum on the news! I warned of this kind of crap in the 70's as the new Jesus movement began. It is too bad that I was correct. Welcome to the xtian Taliban in America!
janet l.
user 7496293
Marysville, CA
Post #: 1
This type of irrational thinking (prayer as a response to immediate crisis) is partly responsible for my total alienation from religion. Another example that disgusts me is: "I prayed and God heard me and I was saved." Never any mention or explanation of those who also may have prayed and were not saved. Then it's the usual lame explanation, i.e., "God must have had a different plan for ......"
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 121
I ask such people if they thank their god for the trials from which they have been subjected. No one says that their cancer was by the grace of god, their 4 heart attacks are, fortunately, from god, or that their financial woes are all to the glory of god. We know, and most Xtians miss the story of Job completely, that god is making bets with his nemesis to afflict everyone with trials, tribulations and illnesses as a side bet with the devil! So long asthe devil does not immediatly kill the on on whom the "bet" is made that that person will respond to horrendous trials, albeit an innocent, just as though it's some kind of personality contest. Gotta love that book!