Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › 2014 Book Club Selections!

2014 Book Club Selections!

Brooke
kestrien
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 41
TĀ­hanks so much to everyone who joined us at the October book club meeting to determine our selections for 2014!

All events, with complete book details, are listed on the calendar as well. Our 2014 book club will continue to take place on the third Monday of the month, January through October.

January 20: Doubt: A History: The Great Doubters and Their Legacy of Innovation from Socrates and Jesus to Thomas Jefferson and Emily Dickinson - by Jennifer Michael Hecht

February 17: A Universe from Nothing: Why There Is Something Rather than Nothing - by Lawrence M. Krauss

March 17: Religious Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know--And Doesn't - by Stephen Prothero

April 21: Alcoholics Anonymous: Cult or Cure? - by Charles Bufe

May 19: Godless: How an Evangelical Preacher Became One of America's Leading Atheists - by Dan Barker

June 16: The Canon: A Whirligig Tour of the Beautiful Basics of Science - by Natalie Angier

July 21: Sea of Faith: Islam and Christianity in the Medieval Mediterranean World - by Stephen O'Shea

August 18: The Great Agnostic: Robert Ingersoll and American Freethought - by Susan Jacoby

September 15: Towing Jehovah - by James Morrow

October 20: Revelations: Visions, Prophecy, and Politics in the Book of Revelation - by Elaine Pagels

Please note that October is when we'll be discussing our selections for 2015.
Linda H.
Hsuperb
Roseville, CA
Post #: 74
In the meantime, between end of October and start of January, is there any suggestions for holiday fun reading?

What I really want to know is this:
Can anyone suggest a book/story that is fun to read like The Christmas Carole by Dickens but for atheists/agnostics?
Brooke
kestrien
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 42
I actually just finished a great book by Christopher Moore (who also wrote "Lamb") called "The Stupidest Angel." Pretty funny.

In addition, our full list of book options is available here: http://files.meetup.c...­
Eric C.
user 23186891
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 11
I am very much looking forward to the group. However, after reviewing your your meeting list, I noticed that the January meeting is on Martin Luther King Day and the February meeting is on Presidents Day. I'm wondering if it wouldn't be possible to schedule meetings that were not on a holiday so that workers could take advantage of a three day weekend? That might be helpful for people who dearly want to attend but have scheduled trips over three-day weekends or who might have plans for celebrating holidays like Martin Luther King.

Just curious if this is possible.
Brooke
kestrien
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 43
I'm reluctant to change the dates this year, but will keep in mind for next year. The good news is that they're all in the evenings, so celebrating a three-day weekend shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the input!
Brooke
kestrien
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 45
I've created a Facebook discussion group for this Book Club as well, if you have any suggestions or comments about the books! https://www.facebook....­
James
user 102386322
Roseville, CA
Post #: 10
For consideration: The belief instinct : the psychology of souls, destiny, and the meaning of life / Jesse Bering

Have not read it yet (will read it next), but he is a great author.