addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › FAN ident badge/Name tag

FAN ident badge/Name tag

David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 97
Would you wear one? I would. I have noticed that I have been going to Meet Ups that we are not the only ones at.

For Example..... The Humanist Association meeting talk on Thomas Jefferson, God Loves Uganda, Sexy Violence/Violent Sex talk by David Fitzgerald, Free thought Day, and others.

The meet up sends email to allow us to acknowledge those that we see at the meet up and say glad to see you. I have been noticing that we often can't know who is there that is part of the meet up.

For new people that sign up, this is not going to make it easy to know who the other members are.

I recommend we get clear badges to hang on around our necks that clearly identify us and we can hand them to new members at the new member orientation and pass them on to those of us that have been around for awhile.

What would this accomplish?
What goals do we have in common?
Community?
Visibility?
Welcoming?
Making it easyer for old guys like me to remember names? I like this one!
What reasons do you see this as a good idea?
Should we be anonymous? Afraid to be seen? In the closet?
Please pass this along to other members, so we can get some consensus on this, so we can see if the head cheeses will approve this. :)
Robert C.
user 29187482
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
Its a great idea. Its hard to keep track of all the new acquaintances and it would be better not to be phobic over remembering a person's name. It could be completely voluntary. Lets put something together.
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 99
Voluntary. So How would you like to proceed. Ideas?

Since you and I are the only ones that have written that this is a good idea. It is up to us.

One scenario....... We Take a Meetup that has lots of RSVPs and we make up Name tags for the people that show up. Take the Solstice Celebration........ Reproduce the Logo. Make it holiday. Buy some name tags. Make them up and had them out as gifts when they show up.

Are you going to the December 22 event?

David
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 183
I'm going to try this at the next New Member Orientation and see how it goes. Nothing fancy to start, but if people like it then we'll go from there.

I'll suggest name tags to the people who run HumanLight, also.
Wendy
user 9892369
San Ramon, CA
Post #: 566
When I was the Organizer of a Meet-up I always made up name-tags in advance of each event, based on the RSVPs. Although people may initially roll their eyes or be resistant to the idea, I believe it does (a) serve as an ice-breaker; (b) remove the social pressure of having to remember people's names; (c) facilitate communication and outreach. I used the Meet-up logo to print out tags on paper, cut out the individual tags, hand-wrote each person's first name, and provided glass-head straight pins (you can purchase these at Jo-Ann Fabrics or order online) for people to attach them. I asked them to return the pins and tags after each Meet-up and I re-used them.

In a related vein, it is also helpful to have visible a sign identifying your group when you are meeting in a public place, so the members of your group know where to congregate, check in with the meeting host, get their name tags, and start chatting with each other.
Judy S.
user 11413623
Roseville, CA
Post #: 3
Name tags really help, but I've found resistance sometimes, so I made it optional at the How To Discuss Atheism events (setting out markers and sticky tags in a stack) - and most people put one on. Gary A. is making up name tags for the Dec. 21 Billboard event. Other groups I'm in have tried making permanent name tags and that doesn't seem to work - they all get lost immediately or forgotten. Another group I'm in tries to collect the name tags each meeting, but still many don't get collected and it's a lot of work. I like the disposable idea, either blanks from Staples, or preprinted just for the event. Thanks for bringing this up.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 184
I agree that disposable are the way to go -- at least for now.

I'm going to try to make nice-looking disposable tags. We'll see how that goes and I'll report back after we try it on Wednesday's event (New Member Meetup).

I always have plenty of signage out at the events I host, but recognize that some of our other events sometimes don't. I'm happy to try to get signs in the hands of event hosts that want them.
Robert C.
user 29187482
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 4
Voluntary. So How would you like to proceed. Ideas?

Since you and I are the only ones that have written that this is a good idea. It is up to us.

One scenario....... We Take a Meetup that has lots of RSVPs and we make up Name tags for the people that show up. Take the Solstice Celebration........ Reproduce the Logo. Make it holiday. Buy some name tags. Make them up and had them out as gifts when they show up.

Are you going to the December 22 event?

David
I was thinking of a personal badge of one's own design that can b worn as a courtesy and expression of oneself. A kind of bumper sticker. Our own creative design; no dogma.
David D.
DavidDiskin
Lodi, CA
Post #: 185
Just wanted to let everyone know that the name badges were a complete success! laughing

I placed Avery name badges at the entrance with a variety of color markers and nearly everyone at the New Member Meetup was wearing a badge. I pre-printed them with the SacFAN logo and they came out looking pretty great. Here they are for anyone who wants to use them.

I definitely recommend this for future events. Thanks for the idea!
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 101
I am very pleased to hear of the success. I wish I could be there, but nature laid me up. I just got out of bed today. I've been down since Monday. No prayers nessessary.