Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Book Discussion Circle?

Book Discussion Circle?

Closed to new replies

Nikos L.
nikosl
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 32
I am just beginning Karen Armstrong's "A History of God" and was wondering if anyone else is interested in forming a discussion circle around it.

I think it could prove to be a good opportunity to engage one another about what we've read and the relevance of the points made regarding both our own experiences and the impact on the arc of human history.

It is roughly 400 pages, and perhaps three discussions around 135 pages (give or take) of material. I would like to do them every other week at some designated time that is agreeable to those who are interested.

I am willing to schedule a venue and also lead the first discussion. I am also more than delighted to defer to others on these logistics.

Judging by my own meager experience with book discussion groups, a half dozen seems to be a good number of participants.
Rachael
Rachael_H
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 11
I'm not sure how well I could keep up (with the reading or the discussions) but I'm interested in trying it out.

I vote for not Thursday or Friday nights.
Nikos L.
nikosl
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 33
I was thinking perhaps Sunday afternoon or evening?
A former member
Post #: 2
i'm always down for book discussion, but professor Leverenz has already loaded me down with reading material, so im not sure if i can squeeze another one in lol
Rachael
Rachael_H
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 13
Alex: Perhaps the some of the materials from the "Professor" could be assigned to everyone in his book club. (Hmm, I'm assuming whatever he gave you is a related topic?).

Nikos: I suggest adding an event to the calendar and seeing if there is interest that way. If people can't make it at the time you suggest they could comment about better times?
rainer k.
user 7607084
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
greetings,

i've been thinking a book group would be fun. it's been a few years since i've done one. friday and saturday are frequently busy for me. other days mostly free.

rainer
A former member
Post #: 3
Atlas Shrugged, actually.

Slow reader that I am, it may be more suited as a life long project than a weekly discussion.

I start school in about a month, so my recreational reading time is about to suffer a serious blow.
For me it all depends on how much weekly reading is involved...
A former member
Post #: 1
I would love a book discussion.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi!
I'd love to be a part of a book discussion! do you know if its available on CD? I have to kids and I wont be able to keep up with every one.
Steve T.
user 6020269
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 10
not only yeah... hell yeah! i love karen armstrong! maybe we could do the coffee garden on sunday nights from 6 to 9pm.