Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › topic for the next third tuesday

topic for the next third tuesday

Steve T.
user 6020269
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 11
we seem to have gotten on a kick of discussing religions. how'd you feel about discussing scientology next? let's kick emperor xenew's ass! n-grams optional. (psst! nobody tell tom cruise!)
A former member
Post #: 3
steve:

i would love to do a bit on L ron Hubbard to get the ball rolling
A former member
Post #: 3
Cool! I don't know anything about scientology and have always wondered what the big deal is
Rachael
Rachael_H
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 14
Are you going to lead the discussion or do we have an ex-scientologist in our midst?

I got a flyer a few months ago from someone against scientology, this website has a lot of info:
http://www.xenu.net/...­
A former member
Post #: 4
Will Tom C or John T be there? devilish
always up to expand the MIND.
Happy Pioneer Day all ya Jack Mormons
Steve T.
user 6020269
Group Organizer
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 12
no! wouldn't it have been cool if we'd had a ex scientologist! this one is up for grabs.... so to speak. i think that i'll have to finally break out my projector and watch a few short videos available on line.
Nikos L.
nikosl
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 35
Given that no one has personal expertise in Scientology per se, I would think that this would be a good opportunity for intersted parties to work collaboratively and delve into a particular aspect of the movement in question, including (1) a biographical segment on L. Ron like Alex suggested and (2) a segment dedicated to rather naked and public expositions of their dogma like Rachel pointed out.

I wouldn't mind giving a short take on Narconon, their anti-drug program that they got into many school districts in California, including San Francisco, before being exposed by concerned parents and treatment advocates. The Chronice ran a series of articles three or four years ago.

We should really strive to commit ourselves to opening with a "Week in God" segment that invites people to report on one or two news items they've come across, to promote popular participation and dialog.