Sacramento Freethinkers Atheists & Nonbelievers (FAN) Message Board › Scientology Stories at True Enough

Scientology Stories at True Enough

KLJ
KLJcomedian
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 9
I started doing a monthly story telling show at The Sacramento Comedy Spot called True Enough.
This Friday is the latest installment, at 9pm and the subject du jour is Adventures With L. Ron, stories about Scientology.
The address is:
1050 20th Street
Sacramento, CA 95811
(916) 444-3137

If you have a good Scientology story to pitch, I'm happy to hear it.
A former member
Post #: 4
Here is a nice look at this criminal absurdity known as Scientology.
http://www.strippingt...­
Anyse J.
Anyse
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 9
Today, in the St Petersburg Times in Russia, there is an article on how the Scientologists in Shchyolkovo, Russia, are being prosecuted for inciting hatred and other things. If you would like for me to get more "primary" information in Russsian and then to tell you more about it, I could take a look, unless someone here knows Russian much better than I do (which would not be all that difficult).

http://www.sptimes.ru...­

Anyse
GaryA
GaryA
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 19
the St Petersburg Times have a fascinating history with Scientology. The Times did an expose on scientology awhile back and the scientologists retaliated with a smear campaign. So the times did a report on "fair game" which is a policy that says it's ok to lie, cheat or destroy enemies of scientology. it's been going back and forth for about a year and a half. it's fun to watch scientology try to cope with fearless journalists.
Ja K.
user 13478963
Rocklin, CA
Post #: 2
I must say- I have been/was involved with Scientology since about the year 2000 and it is definitely different. Different than what 'we' know but also just plain weird, especially the important details. I am actually a fan of Dianetics, Scientology not so much. Scientology to me, is a lot like 'Common Purpose' but with religion incorporated, for the $$$ obviously.

When I say 'involved' I do not mean a member lol but some of the literature, been to the church a few times (Celebrity Center) basically due to an ex girlfriend but in all honesty- Dianetics changed my life and I'd recommend it to anyone.
David J.
user 6514874
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 58
I'd love to hear more.

Best to do it in person.
GaryA
GaryA
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 21
I must say- I have been/was involved with Scientology since about the year 2000 and it is definitely different. Different than what 'we' know but also just plain weird, especially the important details. I am actually a fan of Dianetics, Scientology not so much. Scientology to me, is a lot like 'Common Purpose' but with religion incorporated, for the $$$ obviously.

When I say 'involved' I do not mean a member lol but some of the literature, been to the church a few times (Celebrity Center) basically due to an ex girlfriend but in all honesty- Dianetics changed my life and I'd recommend it to anyone.

Though you might not consider yourself a Scientologist, they do. Also, I agree that Dianetics has potential to help people. I don't personally agree with what it has to say about psychology and the layout of the mind, but I won't argue that it hasn't helped anyone.
The problem with Scientology is the organization and more specifically, the Religious Technology Center headed by David Miscavage. I won't go on to my entire rant here, but generally, thumbs up on this topic of discussion.
Evan B.
Evan916
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
About four years ago I had some pretty heavy addictions to some pretty powerful narcotics and went to a Dianetics-based rehab (at the time had some trepidation about that, but needed the help so went through with it); I've experienced a lot of their methods--the sauna detox and "TRs"--firsthand and, looking back with a critical eye, can tell you the science (read: "science") they're based on, if indeed they are, is crap. Pure crap.

It's no different from religion feeding on the average person's ignorance of matters metaphysical and spiritual--it takes that same MO but tweaks it to operate on a modern audience used to science, technology, pop psychology, and pharmaceuticals. Scientology is predatory and dangerous, in my opinion, and Dianetics is science fiction, not fact--which makes sense considering the source, right?