Sacramento Animal Rights Meetup Group Message Board › Urge CalEXPO--State Fair--to NOT have Farrowing Crate Exhibit

Urge CalEXPO--State Fair--to NOT have Farrowing Crate Exhibit

Marilyn
BodhisattvaSep07
Loomis, CA
Post #: 7
Eric Mills, Action for Animals out of Oakland, works tirelessly for animal welfare. Below is his latest alert, edited a bit for brevity. My personal preference would be for everyone to not eat meat/pork at all, and have such pig/hog raising practices fail economically. Until that happens, I support Eric's efforts to stop our CA State Fair, a public institution, from condoning and promoting such animal cruelty. (Gestation crates are a whole 'nother issues!).
Marilyn
May Day, 2013
The State Fair Board meets once more before the Fair opens (July 12-28) on FRIDAY, MAY 31, 12:30 P.M.
As you know, they plan to feature those godawful "farrowing crates" again: three pregnant sows, imprisoned and unable to turn around, barely able to move, and forced to give birth on a metal grid, before gawking crowds and nightly fireworks. Not acceptable! Under more normal conditions, a pregnant sow about to give birth would seek out a quiet secluded spot to build a nest for herself and her young. The farrowing crates squelch every natural instinct and behavior of these abused pigs. They (and the public) deserve better.
The display at last year's Alameda County Fair is infinitely superior to that of the State Fair (and current CEO, Rick Pickering, was CEO at the Alameda Co. Fair last year). It featured a 10' x 20' enclosure, the sow in deep sawdust, with her piglets (born off-site) free to come and go at will through a slotted partition across one corner of the pen, drawn by the warmth of a heat lamp. The pigs seems as happy and content as did the public. THIS IS WHAT THE STATE FAIR SHOULD BE DOING, AS A MINIMUM.
I'm fantasizing how wonderful it would be if we could get 50-100 people to the Fair Board meeting on May 31 for public comment. I think that could have a major impact on the board re the farrowing crates (and other animal welfare issues at the Fair: goldfish as prizes; hermit crabs as pets; "Raccoon on a Stick," etc.). It would be esp. good to have a few HSVMA veterinarians there to counter the status quo. I think we have a good shot at stopping the damnable farrowing crates this year, but it's gonna require bodies.
Do you think this is doable?
Woody Allen is right: "80% of life is showing up." And most of our people, for whatever reason, DON'T show up in the numbers needed to bring about change.
We had nine people drive 7&1/2 hours from Joshua Tree this week to testify in support of the bobcat protection bill! So what's it take to get the Sacramento area animal activists to put in an appearance? Hopefully not another cow shooting.
Thoughts? Ideas to inspire people? I await your collective wisdom.
Eric Mills
ACTION FOR ANIMALS
afa@mcn.org
A former member
Post #: 49
Do you want to start a petition? I can get lot's of people to sign it. www.forcechange.com is a good site for starting petitions. -julie