Sacramento Animal Rights Meetup Group Message Board › Save a Chicken at Sac State

Save a Chicken at Sac State

Jennifer
jennibel
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 47
Hello. I noticed a beautiful chicken who is at the arboretum at the Sac State campus yesterday. I am in fear for her life. Sac State used to have chickens on campus until 5’ish years ago when the president decided he did not like them being there, so he had them rounded up and killed. They will not disclose exactly what happened to them because they clearly have something to hide. I know if the administration finds out about her, she will suffer the same fate as the previous chickens. I need to 1) find her a new home, then 2) trap her as humanely as possible so she can be placed in her new home. I am not experienced trapping chickens and do not have any equipment. I have a friend who said they could lend me a dog crate to transport her. Will you please help me find her a home, give information on trapping or share whatever equipment necessary to do so, and/or suggest people I should contact to help with this?

I called Sunflower Cafe to see if they would like another chicken, but they have signs warning it is illegal to dump chickens and to not do it, but people do anyway and they are experiencing a bad problem with it. The domestic chickens being dumped are badly hurt by the older, feral chickens and are defenseless. It is sad. I

I’m thinking of Animal Place, but want to see if there might be someone or somewhere closer that can help so she doesn’t have to be transported so far.

Thank you !!
Dixie Lee H.
user 83986642
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 3
Jennifer, I think Animal Place is a great place to take her. I just visited and it is so nice there! There are lots of chickens and turkeys and they are really doing a good job taking care of the animals! God Bless you for caring!!
A former member
Post #: 45
There is a back yard chicken owners Meetup group for Sacramento area and i am sure one of the members in that group would be happy to take her. Send them a message.
Jan
janet.weeks
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 127
I stopped by the CSUS arboretum after work on Friday and again on Sunday and the chicken (probably a rooster) is still there. He is large, very well fed, evidently self-sufficient and healthy with a small red comb, white throat, red body, and black tail--a beautiful, colorful bird! He is curious but cautious and would not let me get any closer than about 6 feet away. I've sent emails to Animal Place and Farm Sanctuary but have not had a response from them. I've also been in touch with Mary Britton Clouse of Chicken Run Rescue (Minneapolis, MN). She suggested getting in touch with local wildlife rescue groups because they would probably have the proper equipment and be the best and closest resource for gently and compassionately capturing frightened animals--wild or domesticated--and helping to re-home them. I haven't had a chance to contact anyone else. We need someone with knowledge of chicken behavior and the proper equipment to safely capture and transport this bird and help find a permanent home. Can anyone provide assistance? If not, does anyone know someone who can? I live close by and could help. I can be reached at (916) 278-8124 or (916) 564-4429. I would hate for this beautiful animal to be destroyed for no other reason than that President Gonzalez doesn't approve of chickens on college campuses. Thanks so much for your help!

Jan Weeks
Jan
janet.weeks
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 128
I just did a search for Sacramento's backyard chicken meetup group and found only one. I would NEVER contact anyone in this group! The group describes itself: "The Sacramento Backyard Poultry Meetup Group is for people who have small backyard flocks of poultry for pets, eggs, and meat." Clearly, they view chickens as commodities or edible body parts rather than the sensitive and intelligent beings they are, worthy of living their lives free from harm or exploitation.