addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Sacramento Polyamory Message Board › Should we cancel this meet-up group?

Should we cancel this meet-up group?

A former member
Post #: 1
Hey, folks, what are your thoughts on canceling the Meet-up group?

Elyse and I are currently paying for it. It isn't expensive ($6/month), but I wanted to ask people's thoughts on whether it's serving any purpose. If not, we could delete it.

We don't use it for any sort of discussion. We only use its event function to duplicate the Yahoo and Facebook events.

The only thing I can think of that it's useful for is roping in new members. We get about 10 new members a month. I'm not sure how many of you are already part of the Yahoo or Facebook groups - some might be genuinely new.

What are your thoughts?

Nick
Jay
user 42417062
Sacramento, CA
Damn my luck, I just found this group a couple of months ago, and tomorrow is my first time attending a discussion. As for the yahoo and Facebook groups, didn't know they existed which was how I landed here. Anyway, hope to meet a few folks tomorrow at NL.

Jay
A former member
Hi there. Hope you keep it - would be happy to chip in a few $s per meeting. Wife and I are super-busy but plan to start attending soon. : )
A former member
Hi Nick,

I just joined a week ago and have talked with my fiance about the group. She is excited about meeting other like minded people. You are right about roping in new members. I have been on meet up for a few months now checking things out. I like it much better than Yahoo for finding other like minded people (I did join the Yahoo group but only after joining this one). I do understand how much time and resources doing something like this can take up.

Looking forward meeting everyone.

Thanks

Ted and Cindy
Loretta
user 3872428
Redwood City, CA
Hello,
I don't get to Sac too often, but had hoped to check out your group July 7th.
Please let me know if you do cancel before then.
Hopefully you will continue. Thanks, Loretta
A former member
Provide a pointer to the Facebook group, please. I was unable to find it there. Do that and you can delete this Meetup thing. I've never found Meetup useful.
Chantal B.
user 87320912
Sacramento, CA
We would like to see the meetup group continue. For one thing, many of us avoid Facebook like the plague because of its privacy issues.

I think this group could take off, if discussions had more relevance. As it is, it seems that many of these discussions draw a lot of newbies who are intrigued by the idea of polyamory but who in many instances lack the personality and skill set necessary to successful have this type of relationship.

Any good relationship takes skill and effort to nurture and flourish. We might want to poll (informally) members who have actually successfully lived in the relationships about what skill sets are really required and what the issues are...then structure some discussions around those issues.

The general unformatted discussions principally attract those who aspire to their first relationship like this. A more
topical skill set series of discussions might appeal to those who are either in a polyamorous relationship or have been in one and want to get better at it.

Just my mental meanderings...but perhaps worth considering.
A former member
Post #: 2
Can't find you on Facebook...
A former member
I know this is a pretty late reply, but I had something to say. I've been with this group for a while, but I never went to any discussions. This is mostly because I'm very shy. I would like for this group to continue, because it is hard to find poly people in my area.
R&A
user 153704752
Sacramento, CA
Just joined, only found this site on the web. Won't use Facebook at all, privacy thing. Just thought I'd throw that out there :-)