Sacramento Valley Permaculture Guild Message Board › distribution of local and organic foods

distribution of local and organic foods

shenandoah m.
user 8960131
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 38
a friend of mine who is in the microfinance world turned me on to an interesting organization called organic renaissance that is helping western mass farmers hook up with people in boston interested in purchasing local and/or organic food from small farmers. i wonder what we have in our area to similarly promote our farmers? i know we have csa's, but that really puts the onus on the farmer. i am going to contact organic renaissance to find out how they established their business and the details of their model and how it is working. i'm very interested in finding ways in our area to promote sustainably farmed, local food - especially in places where access to good food is particularly restricted - like stores serving low income populations, school lunch programs, etc. does anyone know of stuff like this already going on in the sac area? anyone interested in making it happen?
Ivy G.
user 11334250
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 73
Yeah! There's lots of stuff like that starting up around Sacramento.

Soil Born Farms, the Sacramento Natural Foods Co-Op, and a couple other local entities are currently partnered up to help create a warehouse and distribution center in West Sacramento. The concept is to have multiple small local farmers bring their wares together into a larger consolidation facility, thereby creating the volume and consistency of merchandise needed to serve larger clients like grocery stores, school systems, and larger restaurants. It's a fascinating venture and one that I'm trying to follow the progress of.

Soil Born Farms is kind of the leader of this charge, and they are leading several other initiatives around town, having to do with local agriculture and food access. I think they are also leading an initiative for school gardens. They're pretty amazing- I'm a fan!

There's another local initiative that's more of a microfinance thing- the Slow Money / One Farm at a Time movement. This organization is raising money to buy the development rights of local farms, so that a deed restriction can be placed on the farm and it will be farmland in perpetuity. They are currently fund-raising to buy the development rights of a farm in the Capay Valley. Neat stuff.

I found out about all these things through my involvement with Harvest Sacramento, which is a project of Soil Born Farms, and through the lecture series at the Co-Op. I'll keep posting these events as meetups when they come up.
A former member
Post #: 19
I'm new to the group, so I've been browsing some of the older posts. I love Soil Born, I wish I lived closer so I could participate in their CSA boxes. I did recently come across an interesting new website for swaping produce with other local gardeners. Not quite what you were talking about, but a great resource.
the site is lemonsforlimes.com It's a simple concept, you pay 5.99 and get 5 points with each point you can pick a bag a produce from the list that other gardeners have posted, each time you post and someone takes one of your bags you get another point. There are guidlines for what is a "bag"

I just thought I'd share.
Kallie
BrendaB
user 8801550
Rocklin, CA
Post #: 41
Although located more up North, the North Coast CO.OP uses organics--locally, via online.
It's member-owned and, I believe, certified organic. Its platform, like some others,
is people can be owners of the business they choose to shop at--democratic, in other words.
Some more of the backstory is it still upholds ethical values and social
responsibility--a cooperative community spirit marketing foods. Granted
farther than one may want to travel, some of its business is online and reachable to
farmers' markets and family farms down here. The agenda is promoting organic farming, the
importance of local products, buying in bulk, and recycling/reducing waste. Just a thought...