Sacramento Valley Permaculture Guild Message Board › Sharing some Urban Homesteading and Variety of Resources

Sharing some Urban Homesteading and Variety of Resources

Jodell B.
user 55885712
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 24
I started studying sustainable living over 25 years ago. I did attend various workshops out of state for survivalists but being a lesbian, I really felt that there was no saftey and security for people who are not homogenious with each group's beliefs and politics. Never the less, there are interesting lessons they learn and share. Here is an interesting one: http://www.thesurviva...­

I have been debating about whether to stay in the Sacramento area or move into the country, even staying in California or not. One thing that has changed my mind is the changes in laws about growing edible lawns and having chickens in the City. I am not sure about those yes as I am just renting for now. When I finally do purchase a home, I want to convert my home grounds into edible landscaping for certain.

I moved from Santa Cruz where it was getting too expensive to live. I will post some more of my favorite links here. I am hoping to learn more about how other people are converting their living spaces into edible space.
Jodell B.
user 55885712
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 25
To be clear, this is the mentality I do not agree with in the various survival groups:
"I am a libertarian, I believe in LIBERTY, not in degrees in absolute standing or nothing. I believe in the republic where the right to swing your fist ends only where another’s nose begins. As such any are welcome in our community, even those we disagree with SO LONG as people respect each other and debate the issues not the individual."
We work on civilization to prevent that type of bullying. Even the Founding Fathers created a Federal Constitution to preven bullying of the minority groups by the majority groups within the states. I have the quotes from the Federalist Papers. It is just so obvious. However, I do believe that self-preservation must include the Planet. Oddly, survivalists may not agree about that part. Oh, well, while some people are re-inventing ways for communities to grow food and co-habit while sharing resources, there will be the ones going off to the wild side back to their cave man days.
I am looking for my links. I honestly resent MS for making so many upgrades so that I can never find all my old Favorites. Still looking...
Jodell B.
user 55885712
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 26
You all probably all know about this guy:­

Here are a few presentations with breakdowns of concepts:­­
Michael B.
user 35841372
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 1
I am not one myself but having spent years around survivalists, I don't think many would. Their views on the world tend to be quite narrow. Broad generalization but that has been my experience.

Rene N.
user 12217316
Fair Oaks, CA
Post #: 13
Hi Jodell, I live in Fair Oaks where we are allowed chickens and as far as I know, food for lawns. We took out our front yard and now grow edibles and have had no issues - in fact, we get compliments on a regular basis. You might want to consider living here if you decide to stay in the area.
Robert C.
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 21
Hi Jodell
I am creating an edible landscape/ market garden here in Sac. in one of the cities most blighted neighborhoods. I don't have chickens yet because I am still debating it with myself. If you do it according to city regulations it can be very expensive because of licensing. I do grow 90% of my vegetables for personal consumption and I sell all the surplus to restaurants. I still purchase meat and eggs. This is on less than 1/4 acre. it's a work in progress but come by and see what I am doing and I would be happy for your input as well.
Jodell B.
user 55885712
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 35
I am still looking at options. I am starting seriously consider the Urban Farming route. I am also finally starting to organize a few friends with similar vision around the big picture. I had not yet thought about Fair Oaks. That is a novel idea to me. I am from Solano County, moved to Sonoma County and lived in Santa Cruz County. I have only been in Sacramento County for 2-3 years. So, I do not know my way around yet to make my more final choices. It seems that there is a good movement happening here.
Jodell B.
user 55885712
Sacramento, CA
Post #: 37
I finally purchased a 1/4 acre with small home in the Arden area for my Urban Food Forrest and sustainable living goals. I am still settling in my new home but am preparing to start coming to events to meet others.