addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Hill Country JavaScript Message Board › Jquery Mobile

Jquery Mobile

nathan S.
smittydude
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 2
Any of you all use this for mobile site/app development?

What are your opinions of building a site (not so much a complicated web app) using jQuery.m; especially when one wants to make the functionality on a mobile site a bit different than a desktop counterpart?

Up to this point, I mostly focus on building out sites w/ media queries in my stylesheets so they are responsive. However, I like a lot of the features and mobile optimizations jQ.m brings to the table and it seems pretty easy for someone with a limited knowledge of scripting to use on a basic level (which a basic level of script knowledge is all I have as I am more-so in the process of learning.)
Kevin L.
user 11734531
Group Organizer
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 1
I haven't been doing much mobile app development, so my experience is limited. That said, when I did use jQuery mobile a couple of years back, while the transitions were great, it failed as far as performance goes. Having to download the entire jQuery library + the mobile framework really slowed down page load time. That, along with the render time, really limited jQuery mobile to being used only for quick prototypes.

Things may have improved since then, so please correct me if the have. This would make a great thing to bring up during one of the lightning talks at one of our upcoming meetings.