addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

SA Permaculture in Practice! Message Board › Good Afternoon From the New Organizer for SA Permaculture

Good Afternoon From the New Organizer for SA Permaculture

Barbara L.
user 9655427
San Antonio, TX
Hello everyone! I've agreed to take over as Organizer of SA Permaculture in Practice. If anyone has suggestions for ways to make the group more active and interesting, please contact me.

Here are some thoughts I have:

-- share resources on the message board. It would be great to see more people participate in this and share interesting websites, books, and videos you discover online.

-- presentations by members: for example, at the last meetup, Steve Wright described a low-cost greenhouse he built against his house that protects frost sensitive plants and helps to heat his house. We also talked about practicing Permaculture on an apartment balcony.

-- presentations by guest speakers. I'd love to have someone like Pliny Fisk From Austin address our group, but we need to have a more active membership in order to bring in guest speakers. Not many people are going to be interested in giving a presentation to an audience of 1 or 2.

--  hands-on workshops in Permaculture techniques. I have volunteered my 1-acre office site in central San Antonio as a venue. Again, we'd need to to have more than 1 or 2 participants to make this work. Members of this group also have locations in the area surrounding San Antonio. If anyone is interested in having an event at their rural location, please let me know.

I have paid the dues for the next 3 months, by which time I should know if there is going to be enough interest in this group to keep it alive. The group has not previously required its members to pay dues, but I think it might be a good idea. I've noticed that people tend to value things more if they have to pay for them, so requiring dues might increase member activity in the group. I'd really like to hear other members' opinion on this. If we did collect dues, how much should they be? What would the money be used for? Some thoughts that come to mind are:

-- to offer scholarships to Permaculture courses

-- to pay guest speakers

-- to support Permaculture-oriented community gardens in the San Antonio area (for example, we could purchase fruit trees for community gardens interested in doing perennial food crops)

I am offering my time and venue free of charge, so all money received from dues would be used for the group or to make San Antonio a better city in which to live. If we decide we want to set up a tax-exempt entity, I can do the necessary paperwork to form a corporation and apply to the IRS for tax-exempt status. (I'm a tax & business law attorney with a number of tax exempt clients).

I look forward to hearing from you other members out there!

Best regards,

Barbara
Heidi T
user 30592212
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 11
Great suggestions!

Nadia
ngaona24
Group Organizer
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 19
Hi Barbara! Thanks for getting this group rolling again and managed locally. It takes a lot of time and energy to step up as a meetup organizer so I salute you!

I am definitely willing to put some due money in or donations towards this effort. We need an active permaculture group in San Antonio. A friend of mine has recently taken over the Austin Permaculture Guild for Jenny Nazak. I've talked with her and Kirby Fry and they are interested in helping out here in San Antonio. Currently, they are running a series of "permablitzes" in Austin and south of Austin. I went to the last one and intend to go to the next one at the end of March in San Marcos at Sacred Roots Permaculture Community. A permablitz is a two day effort to install permaculture designs at a chosen location. If a person volunteers at 4 permablitzes, they are then eligible to have a permablitz at their property.

I am also going to attend a permaculture design course in May through the guild. Pretty excited about that. If anyone here is interested, I can get you more information. Another great resource is Green Spaces Alliance. They are currently slated to have a Permaculture introduction series in September. Oh and I am pretty sure I can find some properties we can practice on. I know of 3 or 4 right off the bat that are interested in permaculture.

That is all I can think of for now, but I would love to meet with all of y'all. I am notorious for not checking my email too regularly, but if you would like to get a hold of me quicker, my phone number is 210 334-7400. Thanks again!

Nadia
Heidi T
user 30592212
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 13
I'm interested in participating in permablitzes in the San Antonio area.