The San Diego Belgian Meetup Group Message Board › Hello Belgians, I'm new here!

Hello Belgians, I'm new here!

Bruce1622
user 13478175
San Diego, CA
Post #: 1
Hello Belgian friends! As my profile indicates, I am a San Diegan, not a Belgian. However, my daughter, Julia, has fallen in love with a young Belgian and and is living in Tienen, BE and getting her Master's in Education at KU Leuven.

Some of you may remember her because she and I attended a Belgian Meetup in Mira Mesa in the fall of 2009. You were so kind to her, offering her places to learn Flemish and lots of other information.

I'm using this message board in order to ask for your help. I want to surprise her by purchasing a XBox360Kinect system for her. I much prefer to purchase it from a store in Belgium and have it shipped directly to her there. I have no knowledge of any Belgian consumer electronics stores. Can you direct me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sincerely,

Proud Dad aka Bruce1622
Lorenzo
user 6598379
San Diego, CA
Post #: 4
Hi Bruce,

You could simply buy it on the french Amazon website: there is free delivery to Belgium for any purchase above 20 euros !

http://www.amazon.fr/...­

Good luck !
Bruce1622
user 13478175
San Diego, CA
Post #: 2
Thanks so much! I'll give it a try and certainly keep this in mind for the future.
Bruce1622
user 13478175
San Diego, CA
Post #: 3
Wow Lorenzo! What a HUUUUUUUUGE help. Thanks so much.

Thanks also for providing the hyperlink that was to the EXACT PRODUCT that I wanted to order. You are awesome.

We've completed to the order and she and her boyfriend should have their XBOX system by Christmas.

I'm just curious, did you happen to be one of the people that met Julia?

Blessings!

BRUCE
Lorenzo
user 6598379
San Diego, CA
Post #: 5

It's great that it worked, glad I could help !

I have only been to 1 meeting at O'Callahans but it was in fall last year and there were quite a few people!

I don't remember meeting you two, maybe I was sitting at the other end of the table ??

See you soon,

Lorenzo
A former member
Post #: 13
Hey Bruce
I'm interested in how it worked out! LEt me know if she received the xbox! (hopefully she doesn't log in onto this website for any reason... otherwise your surprise won't be a surprise any more ;) )

How is your daughter? Does she like Belgium, and the Belgians? Did you go visit her?
How old is she? What a great love-story!

I'm Helena by the way. Born and raised in Belgium, Gent, moved to SD with my husband 3.5y ago and moving back to Belgium next May! I should meet your daughter to talk a bit about her experiences and comparing SD to Tienen :D

Hope all is well proud dad!

Kind regards, Helena
Bruce1622
user 13478175
San Diego, CA
Post #: 4
Hey Bruce
I'm interested in how it worked out! LEt me know if she received the xbox! (hopefully she doesn't log in onto this website for any reason... otherwise your surprise won't be a surprise any more ;) )

How is your daughter? Does she like Belgium, and the Belgians? Did you go visit her?
How old is she? What a great love-story!

I'm Helena by the way. Born and raised in Belgium, Gent, moved to SD with my husband 3.5y ago and moving back to Belgium next May! I should meet your daughter to talk a bit about her experiences and comparing SD to Tienen :D

Hope all is well proud dad!

Kind regards, Helena
Hi Helena,

She LOVES Belgium and Belgians. She is frustrated that English is spoken so universally. She really hoped that she would be FORCED to speak Flemish. She really wants to "fit in", and not be 'Lauren's American girlfriend', that speaks only English. He Master's classes are all taught in English and almost all of the students are neither American nor Belgian.

She's 24. She doesn't even know of this website (I hope!)

I Skyped with her today and she made no mention of having received the XBox yet. The amazon.fr website said that it COULD be delivered as early as yesterday. So I can't tell you for sure that all worked our as hoped.

She was in Gent over the weekend! Her boyfriend (from Belgium) had never been to Gent! She put lots of beautiful (snowy) pictures of Gent on her Facebook page.

She's done LOTS of traveling throughout Europe in the last couple of years and she has plans for 2 more trips that I know of. (Rome in February w/ a friend that she grew up with here in San Diego) ,and her 26 y old brother plans to tour the South of France with her in the summer.

We have not visited her (yet). We'll at least wait for an engagement ring! :)
Julia in Gent

Email me! Bruce1622 is my gmail address

Blessings!