San Diego Feminist Book Group Message Board › San Diego Businesses and Women

San Diego Businesses and Women

Nichole
NicholeJR
San Diego, CA
Post #: 4
Jessika - I really liked your idea on women-friendly businesses San Diego. While I'm sure all businesses want money from man or woman, the "respectful of women," "recognizing the equality of women" or whatever-the-best-terminology-would-be businesses should, perhaps, be listed.

For me, it's a great opportunity to bring to light anything contrary, as with my experience with one of the bartenders at Ould Sod. I have spoken to the owner and he was upset, but mostly at the sexual comments part. I, however, spoke with a few others and they have had similar feelings about this particular worker, that "he just doesn't like women." In this case, it would be good to remove him from a business that prides itself on being welcoming, friendly and respectful of women, even the rarely spotted in nature "single woman." Joking there.

Would you be into talking about developing this idea forward? And anyone else who might think this could be a good idea? Nothing intense, but perhaps developing it when we have time....let me know!

Also, if any woman has had a contrary-to-great experience with one particular person at Ould Sod, I'd like to know, and so would the owner!

Thanks,
Nichole
Jessika
user 8581775
Washington, DC
Post #: 15
Yes, I'm interested in discussing this further. The first thing that pops out is that it doesn't have to be a "women's friendly" certification. It could be an all around race, gender, sexual orientation equality certification.
Nichole
NicholeJR
San Diego, CA
Post #: 5
I am sooooooo sorry for taking so long to get back. A very busy hectic past couple of weeks. I will say more later. For now, though I do think that since we are in a feminist book club, I prefer to use this opportunity to really discuss how women are treated and affected in society. I think that what you propose is ideal, however we should start with us as women, our experiences, etc. Whatever else overlaps that in our observations and lives should be talked about, but not take it all on at once. Focus on us as women, for now, is my desire for this. There is a lot to explore there and it is sometimes overlooked for other social issues. I'm personally really looking forward to sharing our experiences and views as women, and I'm sure they will be different, as well. It should make for great conversation and community. I'm adding a few more o's to "soooo."