San Diego Liberal Bookworms Message Board › A question/comment was mentioned as to what is needed to make people realize
1) You have never been late on your mortgage, yet your income is too low to re-fi, which would save you $300-$400/month. You need to find a second job so you can re-fi and lower your payments.
2) You or someone you know has a workplace injury. Due to changes in legislation, a person remains injured and continues working, injured, to survive.
3) You or someone you know, purchased a 401K when they were much younger. They are now older--but not old enough. They cannot get food stamps or med-i-cal, despite living below the poverty line. They are required to loose it all, first.
4) Because a person owns a home, they are disqualified from Modest Means legal assistance. They end up at a major disadvantage in domestic issues, as $300/hour is not affordable.
5) They save up for a doctor's visit at the Community Clinic.
6) They fear that property taxes will be increased, which are NOT based on income or other similar circumstances, and could cost them their ability to keep their home.
7) They line up an hour or more prior to the Food Bank opening, so the Food Bank doesn't run out of food. (My teen son is a volunteer at the Food Bank).
8) A person breaks a tooth or has an illness or injury, and starts making payments to their doctor or dentist they have seen for over a decade. The dentist/doctor wants higher payments, and decides that somehow, turning a patient into a collection agency, will make them better able to afford higher payments.
9) "Rabbit Ears" makes a comeback.
Any more to add to the list?
It was nice meeting you all today. If we can know the names of the books further in advance, it would help those of us who rely upon the Public Library.
Thanks you very much