The San Fernando Valley Republican Club Message Board › A Message from Townhall.com about the Future of Townhall

A Message from Townhall.com about the Future of Townhall

Gary A.
aminoff
Group Organizer
Beverly Hills, CA
On Thursday, we decided that it was time to step away from the Meetup system and begin a new chapter in conservative online activism.

The text of that announcement is here:
http://www.townhall.c...­

The encouragement and number of compliments from our readers were amazing and humbling. Thank you.

Shortly after our announcement, Meetup sent an email announcement to anyone who had signed up for the Townhall.com Meetup, claiming that nothing is changing and misrepresenting some facts.

Normally I'd just ignore something like this, but the trust of our readers is very important to me and I felt we needed to respond. We wanted to let you know what the future has in store for the Townhall local chapters. We wish Meetup.com the best. Townhall local organizers and the staff here in Washington just have bigger plans.

There were many reasons why this decision was made, and it was probably inevitable. However, our decision was hastened by Meetup’s poorly planned price increase imposed upon our readers. What bothered us most about this was the burden it put upon you with very little notice - certainly not enough notice to find other outlets for your online activism.

Meetup’s new revenue model has caused an uproar on almost all of the Meetup message boards, and I even learned today that May 15th is the unofficial "Step-Down-As-Meetup-Organizer"­ day across more than 2,000 different topic groups.

Over the entire course of our relationship with Meetup, our readers have expressed dissatisfaction with the system. While Meetup was trying to satisfy myriad different groups, Townhall readers were frustrated with their inability to communicate with each other, to organize with other state and national Townhall groups, and to make a real impact.

The Meetup CEO seems to think we intend to try and re-create the Meetup system. Rather than following Meetup’s business model of trying to build a system that makes every single interest group happy, we intend to create the system that Townhall.com readers really want - a system that will let you communicate with each other and coordinate across the nation.

We intend to give you the functionality and flexibility you've been requesting for a long time.

Stay tuned. Great things are ahead for the Townhall.com local chapters and the entire team is committed to your success. I am proud of the Townhall.com team and everything they have accomplished. Onward and upward.

To stay informed as we move forward with this new endeavor, register here:
http://www.townhall.c...­

Sincerely,
Jonathan Garthwaite
Editor-in-Chief