May 8, 2013 · 7:00 PM
This location is shown only to members
Race Ethnicity, Diversity and Prejudice
Let’s have a real discussion about race, racism and diversity in our society and in particular the Gay community. Some questions we would like to explore:
• Is there racism in the gay community? Is race still a factor in how we interact with and treat each other? Does race still matter?
• What are your personal experiences in regards to race: in the gay community? In the larger community? Have you experienced discrimination personally or witnessed it being perpetuated? How did you respond? What is the best response?
• Do we still perceive people from other races and backgrounds differently? Are stereotypes still alive and well or are they dying out? Is it always bad to have different perceptions of people based on their race?
• From your own perspective, do you believe there is white privilege? How does this exist or manifest itself? Have you personally experienced this?
• Is white privilege misnamed?
• Are we making progress in regards to race matters? Does the rise in the number of interracial relationships indicate progress?
• In dating and relationships, is it ok to have a racial preference? Is it racism or just a preference?
• Do you consider your race on a day to day basis?
• Does the experience of racism differ depending on whether one is Asian, Black, Latin/Hispanic, Middle Eastern or other?
• Is there some systemic discrimination that causes or is part of the cause of so many Latinos and black men (often young black men) in prison? Do you believe there is a racial problem in the criminal justice system?
• Does the fact of (A) slavery less than 150 years ago and (B) Jim Crow laws (a caste system, “separate but equal”) and legal segregation until 1965 -- create a different degree of discrimination for the black community?
• How can we better address the issue of racism? How can we respond at a personal level in a social situation? Can we address race without offending?
• How do we build bridges in everyday situations and occurrences?
• Why is it so difficult to talk about race and racism? Why is there a lack of dialogue about race in gay America? How can this be changed? What if any is the significance of an African American President supporting gay rights? A Chinese American Mayor doing the same?
We hope you will join us in discussing these important issues.
Please note- the date of this salon has been changed. The date of this salon is now May 8, 2013.