addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Silicon Valley Groovy/Grails Centro Message Board San Francisco Groovy, Grails Discussion Forum › What is Groovy/Grails experience according to employers

What is Groovy/Grails experience according to employers

Closed to new replies

Owen R.
user 6828500
Berkeley, CA
Post #: 34
I recently applied for a Groovy/Grails position where I smoothly answered all their question on Groovy/Grails and even jQuery and Javascript and even expounded on HTML5 work I had done. After two screens, they immediately called back saying I didn't have enough Java experience.

My question is: Java developers aren't web developers for the most part and Groovy/Grails is a new language/framework so is this unreasonable to expect a Groovy/Grails position to need an extensive background in Java. At which point, why would anyone go into it if it's going to take years of Java experience according to employers.

Opinions?
Mike S.
user 9809879
Brooklyn, NY
Post #: 6

Let me say up front there is nothing wrong with someone who just has Java non-web experience. In fact quite the opposite, they have my complete respect and admiration provided they have worked on large or complex systems, kept their code maintain-able, test-able w/ good build facility, etc. I generally appreciate good craftsmanship in all fields.

So to your question: My gut tells me there are (roughly) two approaches to learning the best of Grails: (1) as curious, intelligent, savvy Java developer who is tired of spending days setting up a new web site, or adding features / consoles on existing web applications.

(2) the other 'angle' I've found is just as powerful and that is coming from one of the evolved web frameworks, especially Ruby on Rails (Rails3 rocks!), CakePHP, even something like Drupal. Now not all these folks have significant coding experience but they know the jist of how to build web applications that are powerful, dynamic and professional looking. Now these sites can often "hit the wall" of performance and scalability as you know but this is where solid data/domain design and knowing all the options for how apps can be scaled to the enterprise or to tens of thousands of users on a retail site, for example.

I'd encourage others to contribute their experience to this thread, as well.
Philip S.
pstehlik
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
I think it boils down to what the real requirements were for the job you applied for. They may be a shop with some rock-solid, high load Java web-app already in production that needs maintenance and nurture and that they are just toying around with Grails for new projects. Also Grails is built on Spring, Hibernate etc. and uses 'old-school java technology' where they might require knowledge of these technologies for that particular job.

Speaking for myself; when we are looking at hiring web devs that will be working on our Grails stack we value past experience with Spring and Hibernate but are mostly looking for people who are crazy about building great software - the framework is merely a tool that we use. When we are expecting to have heavy Java lifting, background processing etc that involves only some smaller interfacing with Grails I would put the Java experience higher up in the list.

It might also be that they would have liked to see more knowledge in operating on the whole Java web-stack (Tomcat, JBoss, JDNI, JPA or whatever they use) and not only Java.

It really depends on what the job is about and what the company wants and needs....