San Francisco Homebrewers Guild Message Board Brewing Process › splitting 5 gallons .

splitting 5 gallons .

Brian M.
user 81539552
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
Is it ok to split a 5 gallon batch into 2 separate 5 gallon carboys?
Is 2.5 gallons to little for a 5 gallon container?it
Im thinking of using 2 different strains of yeast.

Thank for any input

Brian
Andrei F.
user 75285262
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 1
I split almost all my batches into 2 x 2.75 gallons x 5 gallon carboys. This actually has some advantages. You get to try two different yeasts under identical conditions. You don't need a blow off tube. For liquid yeast, you are pitching a good amount and don't need a starter. And the carboys are way are easier to move around due to less weight. The only disadvantages I've found are more cleaning, and more money for yeast.
Brian M.
user 81539552
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
But is there to much head space in a 5 gallon with only 2.75 gallons of brew.?
Andrei F.
user 75285262
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 2
What is the disadvantage of head space?
Brian M.
user 81539552
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
How about in a secondary? Do think there will be a risk of oxidation or contamination?

Brian
Kenneth
klibeson
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 6
I just asked the guys down at SF Brewcraft this weekend the same question. I am thinking of adding different flavors to the secondary and wanted to split them up so I had a base and two smaller batches to test extract quantities. They sell a 3 gallon and a 1 gallon. So you could get a 3 and two 1 gallons to achieve the same affect. They added that you could run into issues if there's too much air in the carboy. I don't know how true this is, so I'll let other people comment. That said, in my limited brews, I've noticed slightly better results when there's less air, but again, this is with minimal brew observations.
Andrei F.
user 75285262
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 3
It might absorb some extra oxygen in the secondary. You could purge it, if you have a CO2 tank and a carboy cap.

I don't use a secondary, just 4+ weeks in the primary. The current thinking I've read is that a secondary is only needed in special cases (high gravity, fruit, etc). It was needed back in the day when the dry yeast was not up to the quality we have today, and people have hung on to this idea, but now most people say that you'll get better flavor if you give the yeast time to clean up after itself.