San Francisco Python Hack Night Message Board › The SF Post-PyCon Hack Night is almost here!

The SF Post-PyCon Hack Night is almost here!

Orion A.
user 2841073
Group Organizer
San Francisco, CA

First day back to work post PyCon, and I'm excited! I'm full of great ideas about how to speed up our test suite, how to deploy my code more easily and continuously, and even how to triumph against the encroaching Squirrel Hordes. But there were a lot of sessions that I didn't get to make it to. How can I throw together distributed services with Gevent? Can I employ pandas to solve my data analysis problems? (Do they need H1B visas? Who knew pandas were good at math anyhow?)

And I'm sure you have the same problem. That's why we scheduled the second San Francisco Python Hack Night for this Wednesday, the week after PyCon. We can all get together and discuss what we liked, hated, and were largely indifferent to. You'll be particularly interested, I'm sure, if you didn't get to go to PyCon at all -- you'll get to hear all about everything!

(As an aside, you can read about some of my impressions of PyCon 2012 in the latest entry on the SwiftStack blog.)

But I'm not trying to imply that the hack night will be all talk this time around. We're hackers, not yammerers. (Or, at least, we are both hackers and yammerers.) So bring your laptops, your personal projects, and your pocket protectors, and let's get to work. And if you don't have a project to hack on, well, this time, we may have you covered. We've started work on the Bounty Board project described in this message. SFPHN member Michael Armida has been fearlessly spearheading the effort. It's still in its very early stages, so this will give you an opportunity to get your feet wet in open-source development on a piece of software that could be very useful to us.

I look forward to seeing you on Wednesday!

-- Orion