San Francisco Trail Runners Message Board › Runner's Knee Advice/Help

Runner's Knee Advice/Help

Julie
user 12695460
Mountain View, CA
Post #: 19
Send an Email Post a Greeting
Hi everyone,
Hope you are well. I recently became sidelined with "runner's knee", also known as chondromalacia, patella tendonitis or patella femoral pain syndrome. Has any had experience with this and successfully recovered? Any advice and recommendations to a sports medicine doctor, PT or chiropractor would be most appreciated. I am really heartbroken that I'm not able to run and want to get back to it as soon as possible.

Many thanks for all of your help,
Julie

Matt Geis
user 14203943
San Francisco, CA
Post #: 8
Send an Email Post a Greeting
There's a lot of opinions on it out there, but the majority attribute it to exceeding what your quads are capable of. There are some videos on youtube (http://www.youtube.co...­. Also, a knee band can help. I started feeling this a couple weeks before I ran a 50-mile race, and found that the band really helped. The knee bothered me a bit during the run, but not that much (and 50 miles in, everything was bothering me a bit, so it's all relative).

Cut back on your mileage, try to run on softer surfaces, cut out downhills for while, increase the amount of slow uphill runs, etc.

Good luck, Julie!