At this month’s meetup, we’re welcoming guest speaker, Mark Shaw, to talk about how to become a published author.
Speaker: Mark Shaw
Program: How to Become a Published Author: Idea to Publication (based on Mr. Shaw's book)
Program Content Includes:
• Why it is important to study the publishing industry's ever-changing landscape
• How to decide if your book concept has publishing potential
• How to create unique storytelling ideas
• Why a great story idea + great writing + a competent publishing strategy optimizes your chances to become published
• Why it is important to market the query letter and book proposal and not the manuscript
• Tips on how to write the perfect book proposal and query letter
• How to choose the right literary agent and publisher
• What alternative publishing opportunities make sense for the aspiring author
• Why choosing a savvy promotion campaign is essential to book success
• Legal tips to protect the writer from litigation
Mark Shaw is a San Francisco attorney, literary consultant and the author of 20+ books who has helped hundreds of aspiring authors achieve their publishing goals. His books include The Poison Patriarch, Stations Along the Way, Beneath the Mask of Holiness, Miscarriage of Justice, Melvin Belli, King of the Courtroom, Dandelions in the Moonlight, and his current work-in-progress, The Reporter Who Knew Too Much. More about Mr. Shaw may be learned at www.markshawbooks.com.
Please note that we're meeting at Notre Dame Plaza again this month. Located near Dolores Park, this facility is easily accessible from the 16th Street BART/MUNI station or via several bus lines.
Looking forward to seeing you there!