addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditemptyheartfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

San Francisco Writers Community Message Board › Update on the Writers Studio

Update on the Writers Studio

W. Ross A.
user 10432678
San Francisco, CA
We have some big news about the writers studio we are looking to get.

I have put together the preliminary pieces for moving forward with the coworking space and writers studio.  I have gotten all the estimates and have run all the numbers.  They look good.

This project is now contingent on who wants to join as a paying member.  For this to happen we must have a total of $3000/mo in membership commitments in order to pay the monthly overhead and get this going.  Spread over 6-12 people this is not that big of a deal. (Below I describe the membership options.)

About the Space

The space has a large open work area, a kitchen/eating area, and a private conference room.  It is located in a quiet and accessible area in the Sunset. It is one block from the N Judah Muni line. There is plenty of free street parking. There are two convenient stores within 2 blocks. There are several restaurants, coffee shops, etc within a 5-7 minute walk. This really is a great neighborhood and a quiet place to work. It is also less than one block to the Golden Gate park if you want to take a walk or a bike ride during your lunch or just clear your mind in nature.

Once in the space I will be hosting events, classes, and workshops for all of the writers community whether you are a paying member or not. So this will benefit everyone regardless.

Here is a photo of another space that has the look and feel of what the designer and I are shooting for.

Our space will have private desks in addition to open tables as shown here.

Here is a sketch from the designer for the layout of the front room. We will have up to 15 private desks and  one or two open tables.

Here are pictures of the space as it is now, before being fixed up.

Store Front – This will be re-painted and have a nice handmade sign.

Commons area/ Main space – We will drywall and paint the walls, fix the ceiling, put in strip lighting along with desks and chairs to work at.  This work area will be nice and bright.

Kitchen/ Eating area – We will redo the floor, drywall and paint, fix ceiling, put in a table and chairs along with a refrigerator, coffee machine, and microwave.

Conference Room – We will have a large conference table and chairs for private meetings and classes. This is just a corner of the room. I was unable to get a good picture of it all.

Like I have said in previous emails, I personally will put up the costs to open, fix up, and furnish the space. This will be a substantial investment for me, but I am willing to do that and take on the commitment of the lease for this to happen.

It is now up to the community to step up and help out. For this to happen we will be working together. And that means if you have been wanting to have a work space that is not your kitchen table,  in your home with distractions, or at a loud café now is the time to act.

We will be taking pre-membership commitments in 3 different ways.

• A Co-Founder deal for past studio members, SF Writers Community Meetup members, and friends first. This membership is limited to only 6 people.
  • A discounted membership rate for past studio members, SF Writers Community Meetup members, and friends.
  • And then if needed...A Kickstarter.com campaign deal that will be open to the general public.

So in essence, there will be a Co-founder special, a pre-Kickstarter.com package, and then a Kickstarter.com package.

Details of Membership levels

Co-Founder:   -Dedicated Desk privileges (see below)

-Scaling fee down to $200/mo

Dedicated desk: -Private desk for your own use

-3 hrs / week of conference room use

-Free entry to classes and events run by SFWC Meetup.

-24/7 access and use of commons area

-Free locker rental

Open desk:        -24/7 access and use of commons area

Description of Packages

The standard rates for the studio ONCE it is open will be:

Dedicated desk---- $400/mo with first and last month upfront

Open desk     ----- $300/ with first and last month upfront

The Following deals are good until their limits are reached or the studio is open to the public, whichever comes first.

The Co – Founder deal is kind of unique. It is a sliding scale for the dedicated desk membership that starts at $500/mo and scales down to $200/mo as we get more members.  This deal is limited to only 6 people.

So, I am looking for 6 people to pitch in $500/mo with two months upfront so we can get this up and going.  But once we have membership grossing over $3000/mo. One half of the membership fees over $3000 will be split by the co-founders and that amount will be taken off of their monthly rate down to $200/mo.

Here is an example: Say we have 6 co-founders equaling $3000/mo, and then the next member comes in at $400/mo. We would take one half of that ($200) and split it by the 6 members ($33) and reduce each of their rates by that amount. So the next month the co-founders would only pay $467 each.  This would continue until their rates reach $200/mo. They would get to keep this rate for as long as they are members. This rate is also 50% off the standard rate for the same benefits.

The pre-Kickstarter.com deal is straight forward and once the Kickstarter campaign starts this deal will no longer be available.

Pre-Kickstarter.com Rate

Dedicated desk---- $300/mo with first and last month upfront

Open desk      ----- $250/mo with first and last month upfront

Then if we still have not reached a minimum of $3000/mo in memberships we will run a Kickstarter.com campaign that will be open to the public. (Once this starts the pre-Kickstarter.com deal will no longer be available.)

Kickstarter.com Rate

Dedicated desk ----$375/mo with only first month upfront

or ---$350/mo with first and last month upfront

Open desk       ----$275/mo with first and last month upfront

I am already in discussion with people who want to be Co-Founders so if you are at all interested in being a Co-Founder, signing up as a member or have any questions please feel free to email me at:

Bill@SanFranciscoWritersCommunity.com­

See you soon!

Bill

Review of Packages

The standard rates once open will be:

Dedicated Desk ----   $400/mo with first and last month upfront

Open Desk ----   $300/mo with first and last month upfront

Co-Founder Special

Dedicated Desk only -$500/mo Scaling fee down to $200/mo with two months upfront

Pre Kickstarter pkgs

Dedicated desk---- $300/mo with first and last month upfront

Open desk      ----- $250/mo with first and last month upfront

Kickstarter pkgs

Dedicated desk ---- $375/mo with only first month upfront

or ----- $350/mo with first and last month upfront

Open desk       ---- $275/mo with first and last pre-paid

It is now up to the community to step up and help out. Like I said we will be working together. And that means if you have been wanting to have a work space that is not your kitchen table,  in your home with distractions, or at a loud café now is the time to act.

If you are interested in membership or have any questions please feel free to email me at:

Bill@SanFranciscoWritersCommunity.com­