'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' (1987) (Trailer below)
"A man must struggle to travel home for Thanksgiving, with an obnoxious slob of a shower ring salesman his only companion."
With a 94% rating at rottentomatoes.com...'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' is another great comedy in the long line of classic John Hughes' films that includes 'Breakfast Club', 'Ferris Bueller's Day Off', 'Sixteen Candles', 'Weird Science' and 'Uncle Buck'.
Starring Steve Martin and John Candy...in what have become classic roles for both...'Planes, Trains and Automobiles' is great way to head into the Thanksgiving holiday.
Don't miss this chance to see this classic comedy in one of San Diego's best theaters (The Reading Gaslamp 15)!
Creator of this Event: Robb
Cost: Only $7.00 (includes $2 off a popcorn or soda - just ask for the discount!)
When and Where: We'll meet up in the lobby of the Reading Cinemas Gaslamp 15 at 6:40pm and head into the theater at 6:50pm - Movie starts at 7pm.
After the Film: We may swing by somewhere close to chat and have a drink if enough folks are up for it.
Other Interesting Facts:
- Steve Martin's favorite film of his own.
- The Marathon Car Rental scene is exactly one minute long from the time Steve Martin starts his tirade, to the time the attendant ends the scene. In that 60 seconds, the word "fucking" is used 18 times.
- The exterior of their aircraft in flight is a reuse of the 707 flying through the storm from the movie Airplane! (1980)
- Steve Martin was convinced to join the production after favoring two scenes he had read from the script; the seat adjustment-scene in the car, and the tirade at the car rental desk.
- The name of the book that Del Griffith (John Candy) is seen reading was "The Candadian Mounted".