San Diego Independent Travel Meetup Message Board › First solo europe trip

First solo europe trip

A former member
Post #: 1
hi everyone! So I'm a newcomer to the group and looking forward to meeting you all whenever the next meetup is a'happenin.

But in the meantime, I'm itching and planning my first solo european adventure (spain/italy/turkey/greece would be priorities but up for spontaneous adventures). Thinking for 4-5 weeks, hosteling, and being a solo woman/31, I'd love any input and experiences anyone has to share~ Thanks everyone, Lori
Julie
user 10162970
San Diego, CA
Hi!!

You should check out couchsurfing.org Its a hospitality website, a great way to meet the locals and crash at their couch if you cannot find a hostel. I haven't done it myself but I've heard great stories about it. I'm going to Europe alone next month too. I'll be going to Paris, London, and Amsterdam. I will try couch surfing there. :D

Do a lot of studying for the cities you want to visit before you go. Best to pick up some traveling guide books and plan your daily itinerary head. I read Rick Steve's guide books, his books are great. They are easily borrowed at the library if you do not want to buy it. And check your local libraries for other travel guide books as well. Hope you'll have a great time.
Perla V.
user 9078534
San Diego, CA
Hi Lori,

I agree with Nhu-Dao Son. Read as much as you can about the places you choose to visit. If there are particular sites within the cities that you want to visit, check out the hours of operation and whether you have to buy tickets in advance.

I also enjoy traveling with spontaneity but in my experience it's been important to have at least my first few days scheduled. Flying for 17+ hours and then having to worry about where to stay when you arrive isn't worth it. After you settle in for a day or two you could be spontaneous :0)

Lastly, pack as light as possible. I was in Italy for 3 weeks last summer and laundromats were readily available for me to use.

Have fun!!!

Perla

Lynne
user 7819109
San Diego, CA
Hi Lori,

You will have a great time! From my experience, it is good to stay in a city at least 3 days to get a feel for it and really assimilate and feel the culture. I definitely would book hotels, but I never tried it spontaneously.

ATMs are readily available there. You need to take a transformer if you have electrical appliances, such as straight iron or blow drier to use. They have different electrical outlets w different voltage that can damage your appliances if you don't tranform.

Don't take a lot of clothing! Comfy shoes are a must!

Have fun,
Lynne

Boyd
BoydJ
San Diego, CA
Post #: 47
We did a Med cruise in May and loved it, seeing coastal Spain, Italy, Turkey and (Mykonos) Greece.

Most electric personal care appliances run on 120-220 V 50-60 HZ, but make sure you check the label before you bring them. I burned out a set of portable 120V active speakers in Moorea. Get a compact European plug adapter at REI for about $1.50 rather than a bulky worldwide input/output one for $15, and bring a small extension cord if you have more than one thing to plug in (camera battery charger, cell phone, blow dryer, computer, etc). I got a little travel AA battery shaver mainly to save weight over my big 120/220 Norelco shaver.

I love Columbia Sportswear Titanium Omnidry clothing for travel. It's very lightweight, comfortable, rugged, and you wash it out in the sink, rinse, wring, roll in towel, stomp on the floor, and hang in the shower overnight to dry. It sounds like a lot of work, but just takes at most 5 minutes before bed and is better than waiting hours at the laundromat weekly. Also ExOfficio undergarments and Fox River, Magellan or about any polyester socks are quick dry. Two sets of clothing is all that is needed but you could get by with one plus nightwear.

Check with your bank on what European banks they have an agreeement with for free ATM withdrawals. For example, my bank, Bank of America, has an agreement with Deutche Bank. The best credit card deal is Capital One, where there is no international fee and they even pay the .5% or whatever it is Visa or Mastercard fee.
deborah
Devo1234
San Diego, CA
hi everyone! So I'm a newcomer to the group and looking forward to meeting you all whenever the next meetup is a'happenin.

But in the meantime, I'm itching and planning my first solo european adventure (spain/italy/turkey/greece would be priorities but up for spontaneous adventures). Thinking for 4-5 weeks, hosteling, and being a solo woman/31, I'd love any input and experiences anyone has to share~ Thanks everyone, Lori

Lori-
I would say to definitely pack light. Research all the ways you can minimize your baggage because the most freedom you will have will be having a very light load to drag around.
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi All:
I've been traveling since I was 20, and love it. I'm planning a trip to Tuscany in Nov. I've mostly taken tours, and many times gone solo. I'll be spending about 10 days on my own in Italy, before meeting up with a tour group. It's the first time I'll have spent so much time on my own, but I'm excited about it. I look forward to meeting up with you in the near future.
Lynne