* 2/9 Update: The event is still on. We may need to adjust the work site location…but we’ll be there!
Sunday February 10th: Re-establishment of the trail bed in the Little Pine “Meadow”.
Last December volunteers did an incredible job of maintaining Little Pine / Santa Cruz trail from Alexander Saddle down to the Meadow. December’s second event to repair the trail through the meadow was cancelled due to weather…so now we are going back! Come out and join other trail volunteers in re-establishing the trail tread through the “Meadow” – it has been in need for a number of years now…
*This event will include significant drive time and a lengthy hike into/out of the work site.
When: Sunday February 10th ( or Feb 17th if rained out)
Time: 9am sharp
Meet: Upper Oso parking lot.
- Volunteers, equipment, and tools will be transported up to Happy Hollow. Work crews will then hike/ride to the work location, work until approximately 2pm, and then have the option of hiking/riding the trail out or returning to Upper Oso via vehicle.
- Tools will be transported down the trail through a combination of bike tool trailers and tool backpacks.
- Those volunteers wishing to hike in 7miles or ride the 12 miles of fireroad to the work area will need to meet at Upper Oso parking lot an hour earlier at 8:00am and leave for work site shortly after..
A free lunch from Santa Barbara Chicken Ranch will be supplied after the event. BBQ chicken, beans, rice, slaw, and their salsa! Drinks too. Lunch will be at Upper Oso.
Volunteers will be required to wear gloves, helmets, and long pants while working. Gloves and hardhats will be supplied, but personal helmets and gloves can be used. Cyclists, pack in pants for the work site.
What to bring:
- Lots of water, snacks and food for the trail, sunscreen
- Personal gloves, helmets, long pants, sturdy shoes
- Crew leaders, tools, tool instruction
- Gloves, helmets
Contact [masked] for more information or with questions.
Directions to Upper Oso Campground: Take Hwy 101 to Hwy 154 NW towards Santa Ynez. In approximately 10 miles look for the Paradise Road turn off on the right (after the bridge) and take a right. Continue straight 5.5 miles to the Kiosk at the Santa Ynez river. A day pass is $5, we may have passes for volunteers. Ask. Cross the river and take the first LEFT at RD 5N15 to Upper Oso (do not head towards Red Rocks). Take rights as you enter the campground and continue to parking lot at back near the gate.