Sarasota Makerspace Message Board › Is this group active?

Is this group active?

Jon P.
user 9004436
Englewood, FL
Post #: 3
I joined a few weeks ago and haven't seen anything. Wassup?
Peter F.
user 13354362
Bradenton, FL
Post #: 1
Right now, not really.
Most folks here work on projects at the GWIZ Fab Lab.
But its closed now for remodeling.
They hope to re-open soon, and the Fab Lab will be available again.
See www.GWIZ.org.
Jon P.
user 9004436
Englewood, FL
Post #: 4
Any news?
A former member
Post #: 1
I would like to know if this group is active also. I am interested in joining but want to visit the facility. Does anyone know what is going on.
A former member
Post #: 2
I would like to know if this group is active also. I am interested in joining but want to visit the facility. Does anyone know what is going on.
A former member
Post #: 13
I don't know if the group or the fabrication lab will relocate, but it seems that the current G Wiz location will be reclaimed by the city and eventually turned into something else (perhaps similar to what it was, or perhaps not... that is not publicly known yet). http://www.heraldtrib...­
A former member
Post #: 3
It looks like there hasn't been any activity for quite a while. There is quite a bit of interest in starting one in St. Petersburg. The city is also interested. There was some discussion about the Sarasota group. Is there any interest in starting one group and merging the Sarasota group into it? I believe the city is also helping to find a space for the St. Pete group to possibly start in.
Peter F.
user 13354362
Bradenton, FL
People are working to obtain some of the equipment from the GWIZ Fab Lab, and relocating it to a new location.
But its a slow process, involving legal issues with GWIZ and Sarasota.
If and when I hear of anything actually happening, I'll post an update.
Lennart L.
user 78815482
Tampa, FL
Hi Peter, any news? It would really be great if Sarasota got its own Makerspace/Dojo - especially for a lot of young kids/teenagers.
Peter F.
user 13354362
Bradenton, FL
Post #: 4
There was an auction of all the equipment and exhibits in GWIZ on Feb 11 to pay off creditors.
Dr. Faulhaber obtained a lot of the Fab Lab equipment.
Currently there is not a site to setup a new Fab Lab, but Eric is working on it.
So really no news.