Sarasota WordPress Users Meetup Group Message Board › New to WordPress

New to WordPress

Douglas B.
user 7399856
Bradenton, FL
Post #: 1
Hello All!

I hope this message finds you well! I'm new to the WordPress world but not to web sites or IT. 15 + years experience but I know next to nothing about this thing you call WordPress! Although, I'm very excited to learn!

That being said, I'm curious if any of you know any training, classes, killer resources, etc. that I can refer to learn more? I've bought books and I have a test WP site that I'm playing with but it would be great to get some more formal knowledge and direction!

My company will be moving our web site to a WordPress based site after 14 years of doing it ourselves. We wrote an amazing CMS, started before the word CMS and Blog was even a dream in someone's heart, but it is time to say goodbye and to utilize the power of WP the millions of developers and experts vs. just me and my dev guy :) So - I need to learn this thing! :)

Any recommendations? I would also enjoy building a local community of friends and WP experts as I live in Sarasota and do not know any other techies here. (transplant from FTL, Cali and once Iowa)!

Let me know and thanks!

DB
ken k.
user 13308071
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 55
check out Lynda.com. They have excellent on-line video courses on many subjects - WordPress included. $25 per month unlimited courses.
Julie Larson - Rea...
CloudBloomers
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 2
Welcome to the area, Doug, and welcome to WordPress!

Our local community is rich in great WordPress resources and techies, too. This group organized by Adam Warner is a great start. I'd also like to invite you to a weekly Internet marketing meetup - http://www.meetup.com...­ and last but not least, we have a chapter of Barcamp in the area.

I look forward to meeting you at one of the upcoming meetups!
Julie
Greg D.
user 13978155
Punta Gorda, FL
Post #: 12
Hey Doug...nice to catch up.

Tip - Follow Adam @wpprobusiness on twitter!

Hope to catch up at the next meetup.

Greg - www.everythingpuntagorda.com­
Doug S.
user 11826173
Sarasota, FL
Post #: 2
Hi Doug, in addition to the great suggestions so far, you might want to check out Udemy.com as well. Professionally produced online courses for a variety of topics. Our organizer, Adam, recently released an awesome class on How to use Gravity Forms, an extremely powerful WP plugin. I look forward to meeting you at one of the upcoming meetings. Have a great day.
Doug S